gbelous's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, October 11th, 2013 1:30 AM

My DVR keeps rebooting, need help

I have been with att uverse for a few months now. Power went out 4 days ago and since then our bedroom wireless dvr has been constantly rebooting. Lights randomly flash, it cycles thru and sometimes I even get to see 15 seconds of tv before it says no signal and starts over again. Att support didn't find any problem so they sent another receiver and the second i get it connected to the network it starts rebooting too. A second call to customer support results in them wanting to send a technician so before they do I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any tips or advice before I get charged $99 for them to come out and tell me its something my fault.

There has been no issue at all with our living room tv and dvr or internet and wireless access. I have rebooted the modem and wap and even plugged the dvr into another outlet. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Slide2.JPG

If you are having issues with:

• Receiver resets
  • Loss of recordings
  • Pixilation
  • Freezing
  • Or any of these error messages above, check out our steps below to resolve your U-verse TV service:

Slide3.JPG

Rebooting the receiver is the quickest way to resolve most service issues:

• Press and hold the power button(located on the left side of the receiver) for 10 seconds.
  • Another way this can be done is unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, then plug it back in after 10 seconds.

Slide4.JPG

We recommend plugging our devices directly into the wall. If you must use a power strip, use the surge protectors that are designed for high powered electronics. Not doing this may result in:

• Receiver resets
  • Loss of recordings
  • Pixilation
  • Freezing

Make sure all connections (wall to receiver, receiver to TV) are placed firmly into the device. If the cables going from the wall to the equipment are damaged, feel free to contact us here.

Slide5.JPG

To avoid loosing your saved programs, perform the Non-Disaster Recovery for DVR/Receivers:

1. Unplug the receiver or DVR power cord from the wall or back of the box.
  2. Wait 10 seconds.
  3. Plug in the receiver and DVR.
  4. When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver/DVR again.
  5. Repeat this process two more times.
  6. Plug the receiver/DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen. If the Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above.

If you are still experiencing issues with you DVR after that, perform a Disaster Recovery on the device.

Disaster Recovery for DVR/Receivers:
WARNING!: Disaster Recovery steps will cause your DVR to lose all pre-existing data such as: Recordings, Parental control settings, Aspect ratio settings

1. Using the above image as guidance, hold down the Down arrow key + OK key +Power key outlined in red at the same time to power down the DVR.
  2. Continue pressing these keys until a gear appears on the screen and release the Down arrow + OK keys.
  3. If the gear on the TV screen appears, wait until completion.
  4. If the gear on the TV screen does not appear, repeat the disaster recovery process.

If the previous steps have been exhausted and the TV receiver continues to malfunction, please send a private message with your account number and contact details to ATTU-verseCare for further assistance. If you are not a member of the U-verse community forums, we welcome you to register and reach out to us.

-ATTU-verseCare

4 Attachments

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

What's an RG? I'm not home right now so I don't know what number it is. Sorry, yea the reciever isn't working, not the DVR (thank god).

I did replace the power cord that has that little box and even plugged it into a different outlet. I didn't put it on another tv though. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Could there be an issue with the access point or modem...whichever the wireless receiver connects to to get it's signal? Or does it only talk to the main DVR in the other room?

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi gbelous,

I apologize for the issues you are having. RG stands for Residential Gateway or U-verse modem/router. But there is definitely a possibility that the wireless access point is having issues. When you notice the box reboot, does the power light go out also? If so, then it may not be an issue with the Wireless Access Point. Let us know how it goes, and if you need the wireless access point replaced, I would be more than glad to help with that.

-David T

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, I am on the "chat" now to schedule a technician to come out and handle it. I tried calling 3 times and each time while I was on hold it hung up on me after 7 minutes. I am not home at the moment so I am not sure what the lights are doing. I believe the power light just constantly blinks randomly as it cycles through. If the box is plugged in there is no way to turn it off, it just keeps going and going until it is unplugged.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

That is definitely a unique situation. I am so sorry for all of this and the issues even trying to get it fixed. If you are still running into any issues getting a technician, feel free to reach out to me and I will gladly get you setup.

Just send me a message by clicking here

Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I just pray that the technician can figure it out. Hopefully not costing me $99 in the process. I am on my third remote and second reciever in 3 months. Not very promising consindering I have used TIVO and Comcast the past 10 years and never once had any issue with any hardware.

(sorry, just venting, have had a very rough day)

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Definitely understandable, and I hope your day gets a lot better with the weekend coming up. If you do run into any further issues, any with any questionable charges, feel free to reach out, and I will be sure to direct it to the right people.

-David T

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I always appreciate the forum's help, so definitely not knocking that. I will update here when/if we figure out the problem just in case anyone else ever experiences it.

Have a great day/weekend!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

The tech was here for about 3 hours Saturday and after trying many things...2 more receivers both wired and wireless, replacing the wap, calling a few people and finally someone suggested it was the dvr causing the receiver to reboot. Sure enough that was the problem. If the dvr was unplugged, the receiver would work fine. As soon as it was plugged back in the receiver would start rebooting. Solution is to replace the dvr but we have soooo many shows saved we have to watch them before we can do that. But at least we know the solution.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.