ulvlelrlsleltlelclh's profile

Former Employee

• 

21 Messages

Saturday, May 25th, 2013 6:56 AM

MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

I have seen a lot of questions regarding 2013 upgrades. I have also seen a LOT of incorrect responses to these questions. Ill cover what I KNOW is on the way and what is being tested. The area I work in is a very well known test location for testing.

1. Stream increase- U-verse is an IP based TV service that currently offers 4 streams per customer. Mid July there will be an increase to 6 streams.
2. New Gateway- The NVG589 Gateway has been released already and is currently very limited and is for NEW installs only.
3. Internet speed increase- The top is 24MB down 5MB up. July is the release for 48-60MB down and up to 10MB upload.

Ill explain what these mean the best I can.
A stream is basically 1 channel. So when you are watching a live TV program you are using 1 stream. If you are recording a program you are using 1 stream. If you are recording HD you are using 2 streams due to high bandwidth. "1.75 stream actually" . So if you have 4 boxes you can watch 4 different channels at once but then you have no streams to record. If you want to record a sd program one of the boxes would need to give up its stream to allow the recording. Recording 2 sd and 2 boxes would have to give up their streams. For 1 hd recording 2 would need to give their streams up and so on... This is a big problem with large households or heavy dvr users. ATT offers up to 8 boxes per household. Even with 8 boxes only 4 could surf at once leading to this increase. No, still won't be able to surf 8 because there will only be 6 but never seen 8 boxes simultaneously in use. It was found most customers at most use six streams, 2 in progress HD recordings and surfing 2-3 boxes=6.
So when watching your tv only the channel your watching is being sent to the box. When you change the channel a request is sent to the office and different channel sent back instantly. This method uses very little bandwidth. Cable companys send all signals to the box at once and the box filters the channels. This is why cable companys like twc and comcast have so many issues with random picture issues from signals bleeding together. Back to streams uverse will continue to add streams until negative feedback drops below "x".

The NVG589 will be the first gateway with the N router feature extending wifi range. This gateway must have CAT 5 feeding the signal in. This will remove current problems caused by coax feeds. " can feed signal OUT to boxes via coax". Bonded customers will see the biggest change. Right now there has to be a outside unit, an internal battery unit, and inside wifi unit. 589 has all built into gateway that is smaller than current 3801 gateways. This gateway reduces 3 points of failure ad works great.
The new internet speeds are not advertised yet but increase in bandwidth cap is already at "most" locations just waiting for more location upgrades before sale release.
COMING FALL 2013- another gateway with WAP built in, AC routing, 8 port e.
Cloud DVR storage- no more lost recording when replacing bad box, also means.
Will add more if questions

Guru

• 

594 Messages

11 years ago

I just wish it had more upload, heck, I wish every ISP gave us more upload capacity.  I do offsite cloud-based backups, specifically SugarSync.  I use it to make sure that the things I need to keep are kept safely offsite incase of major hardware failure in the home or theft.

Plus, I have a brother deployed in South Korea so we share files between our computers all the time.  I change a file here, SugarSync noticed I changed it, uploads it, his computer sees the change and then downloads it to his computer.

I know, I have special situations that are rare to some people.

Guru

• 

594 Messages

11 years ago

I wonder, when AT&T deploys the newer higher speed tiers will I be able to upgrade to them with little to no issues?  Just a flip of a switch at the account management page?

Why I ask is that if I remember properly, my loop length is less than 800 feet, somewhere around 600 feet to be specific.  The VRAD is practically my neighbor.  It's like six houses away from me.  I also remember that the maximum sync rate used to be in the high 50 Mbps range.  From what I understand the new gateways are able to sync at even higher maximum sync rates than that given very short loop lengths.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

You;ve seen at dslr, these will be pair bonded to get max sync rates in the 90M area for these higher speeds to work. 

Funny cause back a few years ago after a power outage I had a 114M max sync rate for 4 months until the next power outage put it back to normal. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Guru

• 

594 Messages

11 years ago

Has HDTV picture quality improved? I remember that uVerse did suffer in that department back when I switched to TWC. Now, TWC seems to be the one that's suffering in the HDTV department.

How does high motion picture quality look like now? That's what TWC is suffering in now, it falls to a blob of compression artifacts now where before it didn't. Mythbusters is a great example of a show that falls to pieces on TWC. How does it look like on uVerse?

Remember, I'm a bit of an HDTV snob. I know what HDTV is supposed to look like.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

I think it's pretty dang good on my 42" Panasonic plasma and has gotten better over the years.  Might be good if you have a relative/friend/neighbor that has Uverse TV and take a look.  I've never seen the PQ you mentioned about TWC here on Uverse. 😉

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Pricing for new speeds under Vip plan, 24M will be bumped upto 30M, coming after test in Dallas in July:

3/1 $41

12/1.5 $51

18/1,5 $56

30/3 $66

45/6 $86

60/6 $106

75/10 $121

Actually no pricing change for up to 24(30)M;)

Chris

75/10 $121

Guru

• 

594 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I just had the service installed. I'm watching TV right now and I do have to admit that uVerse picture quality has come a long way in the last two years. I have noticed a marked improvement in picture quality. It nowhere near being perfect but the compression artifacts are far less noticeable than they were years ago. I actually have to look for them now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just had Uverse TV installed and my DVR says I have 139 hrs of HD recording available.

The installer said he gave me an upgraded DVR.

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

11 years ago

Finally getting wireless N? About time! What took so long? Did I mention I absolutely hate the gateway? It's big and ugly and has the worst wifi ever on it. I got a lot of devices that use wifi and it likes to randomly kick them off for fun.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@cormaster wrote:
Finally getting wireless N? About time! What took so long? Did I mention I absolutely hate the gateway? It's big and ugly and has the worst wifi ever on it. I got a lot of devices that use wifi and it likes to randomly kick them off for fun.

Only if you are interenet only.  If you have TV then you will need to put your own N router behind the RG.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.