MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

[ Edited ]

I have seen a lot of questions regarding 2013 upgrades. I have also seen a LOT of incorrect responses to these questions. Ill cover what I KNOW is on the way and what is being tested. The area I work in is a very well known test location for testing.

1. Stream increase- U-verse is an IP based TV service that currently offers 4 streams per customer. Mid July there will be an increase to 6 streams.
2. New Gateway- The NVG589 Gateway has been released already and is currently very limited and is for NEW installs only.
3. Internet speed increase- The top is 24MB down 5MB up. July is the release for 48-60MB down and up to 10MB upload.

Ill explain what these mean the best I can.
A stream is basically 1 channel. So when you are watching a live TV program you are using 1 stream. If you are recording a program you are using 1 stream. If you are recording HD you are using 2 streams due to high bandwidth. "1.75 stream actually" . So if you have 4 boxes you can watch 4 different channels at once but then you have no streams to record. If you want to record a sd program one of the boxes would need to give up its stream to allow the recording. Recording 2 sd and 2 boxes would have to give up their streams. For 1 hd recording 2 would need to give their streams up and so on... This is a big problem with large households or heavy dvr users. ATT offers up to 8 boxes per household. Even with 8 boxes only 4 could surf at once leading to this increase. No, still won't be able to surf 8 because there will only be 6 but never seen 8 boxes simultaneously in use. It was found most customers at most use six streams, 2 in progress HD recordings and surfing 2-3 boxes=6.
So when watching your tv only the channel your watching is being sent to the box. When you change the channel a request is sent to the office and different channel sent back instantly. This method uses very little bandwidth. Cable companys send all signals to the box at once and the box filters the channels. This is why cable companys like twc and comcast have so many issues with random picture issues from signals bleeding together. Back to streams uverse will continue to add streams until negative feedback drops below "x".

The NVG589 will be the first gateway with the N router feature extending wifi range. This gateway must have CAT 5 feeding the signal in. This will remove current problems caused by coax feeds. " can feed signal OUT to boxes via coax". Bonded customers will see the biggest change. Right now there has to be a outside unit, an internal battery unit, and inside wifi unit. 589 has all built into gateway that is smaller than current 3801 gateways. This gateway reduces 3 points of failure ad works great.
The new internet speeds are not advertised yet but increase in bandwidth cap is already at "most" locations just waiting for more location upgrades before sale release.
COMING FALL 2013- another gateway with WAP built in, AC routing, 8 port e.
Cloud DVR storage- no more lost recording when replacing bad box, also means.
Will add more if questions

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 55 (19,280 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

1.  Two extra streams, probably will be SD, no use to me as I don't record/watch anything below 1002.

 

2.  NVG 510 is for IPDSLAM only ADSL 2/2+ (for those that are too far from the VRAD for VDSL service), not for VDSL TV/internet (3800, 3801, iNid).

 

3.  Higher speeds probably only for those on VDSL internet and relatively close to the VRAD.

 

Wrong in your stream explanation, all programs use just 1 stream each, but HD's is 5.5Mbps and SD's is 2.8Mbps (both approximations).

 

Saying you are an employee, you should have the ATT employee disclaimer on all of your posts.

 

The new products were reported here already back in Feburary:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Motorola-NVG589-New-U-verse-Gateway/m-p/3428715#M8936 Smiley Wink

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 55 (18,868 Views)

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

[ Edited ]

Nvg510 is for IpdsLAM yes. I am talking about 589. It is a new gateway that will work for single as well as bonded pair. It will be replacing the Inid, power supply, and inside unit. Also has lithium backup battery that slides into the gateway.. As far as streams, if you have 4 try to record 2 hd and watch 2 programs..... i really hope non Premise technicians and non connect technicians receive advanced training Soon on product information and troubleshooting.

 Every persons max attainable Internet speed is distance relatand that is correct. I have tested in several VRADS pushing 90mb out already. This is only on the "k" cards. The distance loss is 10k per 1k feet from Vrad. 3500+ uses bonded pair to extend out to 8500 feet. will go 10k but not stable on freq. at that distance. So, at max distance on single pair that leaves 55mb at the house. So that is where the max attainable is determined. The limitation of 2hd streams is also being changed depending on profile as well. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 55 (18,860 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

Your still wrong on your streams.  I can currently record 3 HD shows at the same time and watch an HD channel.  Of course I loose the ability to pause live TV because all streams are in use.  With that said, I can also record 2 and watch 2, record 1 and watch 3....all HD.  While all 4 streams are in use you can also watch a recorded show as it does not count as a stream so you could technically have 8 boxes in use.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 55 (18,812 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"


ulvlelrlsleltlelclh wrote:

I have seen a lot of questions regarding 2013 upgrades. I have also seen a LOT of incorrect responses to these questions. Ill cover what I KNOW is on the way and what is being tested. The area I work in is a very well known test location for testing.

1. Stream increase- U-verse is an IP based TV service that currently offers 4 streams per customer. Mid July there will be an increase to 6 streams.
2. New Gateway- The NVG589 Gateway has been released already and is currently very limited and is for NEW installs only.
3. Internet speed increase- The top is 24MB down 5MB up. July is the release for 48-60MB down and up to 10MB upload.

Ill explain what these mean the best I can.
A stream is basically 1 channel. So when you are watching a live TV program you are using 1 stream. If you are recording a program you are using 1 stream. If you are recording HD you are using 2 streams due to high bandwidth. "1.75 stream actually" . Not currently.  Is that changing? So if you have 4 boxes you can watch 4 different channels at once but then you have no streams to record. If you want to record a sd program one of the boxes would need to give up its stream to allow the recording. Recording 2 sd and 2 boxes would have to give up their streams. For 1 hd recording 2 would need to give their streams up and so on... Not so NOW.  That would be a downgrade.  This is a big problem with large households or heavy dvr users. ATT offers up to 8 boxes per household. Even with 8 boxes only 4 could surf at once leading to this increase. No, still won't be able to surf 8 because there will only be 6 but never seen 8 boxes simultaneously in use. It was found most customers at most use six streams, 2 in progress HD recordings and surfing 2-3 boxes=6.
So when watching your tv only the channel your watching is being sent to the box. When you change the channel a request is sent to the office and different channel sent back instantly. This method uses very little bandwidth. Cable companys send all signals to the box at once and the box filters the channels. This is why cable companys like twc and comcast have so many issues with random picture issues from signals bleeding together. Back to streams uverse will continue to add streams until negative feedback drops below "x".


The OP must not actually HAVE U-verse. 

 

Unless something about the number of streams and how they work changes drastically, they are completely off base.

 

CURRENTLY I have 4 HD streams (lets not even talk SD).  I can record 3 HD channels and watch a 4th HD channel on a STB (not the DVR).  If they change it to the "1 HD channel takes up 2 streams" that would void that ability.

 

The last tech I had out about a month ago mentioned 8 streams.  I'm curious how the increase of streams will affect recording/watching.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 55 (18,803 Views)
Expert

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

Do you guys remember the 7 stream profile that was accidently released to some customers last year?

 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-get-4HD-streams/td-p/3253083

Message 6 of 55 (18,709 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

Yeah, and just like I had a 114M max rate after a power outage was fixed and had it for 3-4 months til the next power outage back in late 2008. Smiley Very Happy

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 55 (18,701 Views)

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"


texasguy37 wrote:

Do you guys remember the 7 stream profile that was accidently released to some customers last year?

 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-get-4HD-streams/td-p/3253083


Yes, don't remind me. I miss my 7 stream profile.  Sure made recording HD much easier since the son and wife don't really care about watching HD. 

 

IMO the OP is full of something that doesn't smell very nice.  NOTHING about his post makes any sense and he's completely WRONG about how a stream works.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 55 (18,612 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

BeeBeeSA -- If you're recording three HD (or even SD) shows on your DVR and watching another live HD show on your non-DVR, you should still be able to pause, right?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 55 (18,571 Views)
Expert

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"


baseballisback wrote:
BeeBeeSA -- If you're recording three HD (or even SD) shows on your DVR and watching another live HD show on your non-DVR, you should still be able to pause, right?

No, not in under that scenario.  The combination of the types of channels that can be recorded/paused at the same time is controlled by your Ingress Profile.  The highest Ingress Profile is 1 SD/3 HD.  Thus, you cannot record 3 HD channels and pause a 4th live HD channel at the same time.  You can; however, record 3 HD channels and pause an SD channel at the same time.

Message 10 of 55 (18,567 Views)
Tutor

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

No you are wrong, the HD channels do take up 2 streams & SD 1 stream, I know this for a fact because I am one of those with 8 boxes & everything he stated about streams is very accurate, I've had the service since around 2008 & this is great news, been waiting for more streams.. Get some facts before you bash this guy..
Message 11 of 55 (18,525 Views)
Tutor

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

Great info thanks, been waiting for a new gateway & more importantly the 6 streams, I've been with U-Verse since about 2008..
Message 12 of 55 (18,528 Views)
Tutor

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

My first comment was geared toward "mibrnsurg"
Message 13 of 55 (18,524 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"

[ Edited ]

kmap wrote:
No you are wrong, the HD channels do take up 2 streams & SD 1 stream, I know this for a fact because I am one of those with 8 boxes & everything he stated about streams is very accurate, I've had the service since around 2008 & this is great news, been waiting for more streams.. Get some facts before you bash this guy..

Then how to you explain the ability to record 3 HD programs at once?   Max profile is 4HD.  If each HD recording took up 2 streams, it would require 6HD and no one has that.

 

Or better yet, if I'm recording 3HD programs and watching the 4th on the STB, THAT would require 8 streams!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 55 (18,515 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: MUST READ! NEW UPGRADES "UVERSE TECH"


kmap wrote:
No you are wrong, the HD channels do take up 2 streams & SD 1 stream, I know this for a fact because I am one of those with 8 boxes & everything he stated about streams is very accurate, I've had the service since around 2008 & this is great news, been waiting for more streams.. Get some facts before you bash this guy..

NO they don't, HD doesn't take 2 streams, that means I was using 6 streams this evening recording 3 HD programs, afraid not, it was just the 3 streams.  Learn the truth before you think you are an expert on stream technology. Smiley Wink

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 55 (18,437 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.