damax53's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, June 30th, 2014 1:07 PM

Lost recordings

Our Motorola VIP 1225 box just died and we lost all our recordings. We have a 3 1/2 year-old and can't watch much live TV so we record a lot. We had movies for us and for him that we lost and that aren't available anymore except for purchase. Plus, it took me a long time to find the movies and other shows and record them.

The tech who replaced the box told us there is no way to retrieve the recordings, but I don't believe it. Unless the hard drive is damaged beyond repair, don't tell me that in this day and age of technology ATT doesn't know how to at least transfer the contents of the old hard drive to the new one. This is the second time this has happened and we're on the verge of dropping ATT and going with another company. We still have the old box (and the new one, of course). Please tell me there is a way to salvage our old recordings. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

If you had to get a new DVR, there is no way to retrieve your recordings.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your prompt reply. But I don't believe that there is no way to retrieve the recordings. I do believe that ATT either doesn't want to tell us how to do it or doesn't want to instruct its technicians to do it. Why? I don't know. But, I do know that a lot of customers are dissatisfied with this state of affairs.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

Most of the reason as to why you need a new DVR is because the hard drive is failing. When you replace the DVR, you also lose the recordings that were on it. Typically, your old DVR will eb refurbished and the first part that they replace is the hard drive inside of the unit. 

Any other pay-TV provider is the same way. When they replace your DVR, you lose the records you had with it. No one has a cloud based DVR avaliable.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@damax53 wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply. But I don't believe that there is no way to retrieve the recordings. I do believe that ATT either doesn't want to tell us how to do it or doesn't want to instruct its technicians to do it. Why? I don't know. But, I do know that a lot of customers are dissatisfied with this state of affairs.

Yeah, well, there isn't. 

I wish I was married to George Clooney but I don't see that happening any time soon, either. 

Quick question:  Are there other providers (Satellite/cable/etc.) that have the option of saving all recordings onto a new DVR?  I'm just asking since you seem to think this is an easy fix.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@damax53 wrote:

Granted I have not had experience with all TV providers but I do not know of any that allow the hard drives to be removed and recordings transferred.  AFAIK that is not possible with any providers.  IF providers move recordings to the cloud, that would be the best option.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Same thing happened to me. Check On Demand and search maybe you can find some of them. But I understand I lost a mine too.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

@damax53 wrote:

Our Motorola VIP 1225 box just died and we lost all our recordings. We have a 3 1/2 year-old and can't watch much live TV so we record a lot. We had movies for us and for him that we lost and that aren't available anymore except for purchase. Plus, it took me a long time to find the movies and other shows and record them.

The tech who replaced the box told us there is no way to retrieve the recordings, but I don't believe it. Unless the hard drive is damaged beyond repair, don't tell me that in this day and age of technology ATT doesn't know how to at least transfer the contents of the old hard drive to the new one. This is the second time this has happened and we're on the verge of dropping ATT and going with another company. We still have the old box (and the new one, of course). Please tell me there is a way to salvage our old recordings. Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Changed dvr box and all recorded programs are lost. Support says no way to save them.  Isn't there a USB port on the front of the dvr box where an external hard drive could be attached and capture the recording before turning the box back to AT&T?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

No, there is no way to recover recordings when a DVR is replaced.  The USB ports are only used to provide power for the RF/IR converting dongle for the Point Anywhere remote.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

We just lost recording history. We came home from work and the ball diamonds and went to watch a recorded program and there aren't any. No service was done or boxes changed. Help!!!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.