IAmTheJody's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 4:15 PM

Last night's software update

Anyone know what it was for? All 3 of my receivers had to go through the process of downloading software update, installed, rebooting, etc. I can't see anything different. Anyone know what it's about?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

My Panasonic has the ability to use HDMI for picture and analog (red/white RCA) for sound - look for HDMI audio/sound options in TV menu.

Did your u-verse audio option get changed to surround?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Audio was changed to Surround...don't think I've ever played with that option. Changed it to stereo and it works again.

Thank you so much!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Okay, so switching to stereo on the box that goes to my digital PDIF connection surround sound unit corrected the HDMI sync but I now have no surround sound.  Is this going to be corrected in a future update or am I missing something?  This is hardly a fix as-is.  

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

After having U-verse installed two days ago and immediately noticing that non-DVR receivers (am I required to know what a 'stbs' is?) could not pause live TV I was appalled.  After that niight's software update with the announcement that non-DVR recievers could now pause live TV, I was even more appalled that the feature didn't work when a program was being recorded!  A non-DVR receiver TV viewer can't rely on being able to pause live TV if anyone is recording a program?!?  What good is a function that is unreliable?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@mainframe wrote:

After having U-verse installed two days ago and immediately noticing that non-DVR receivers (am I required to know what a 'stbs' is?) could not pause live TV I was appalled.  After that niight's software update with the announcement that non-DVR recievers could now pause live TV, I was even more appalled that the feature didn't work when a program was being recorded!  A non-DVR receiver TV viewer can't rely on being able to pause live TV if anyone is recording a program?!?  What good is a function that is unreliable?

That statement is not correct.  Live TV can be paused on the TV's connected to the non-DVR STB's when a program is being recorded on the DVR.

By the way, other than U-verse, what other TV service allows live TV to be paused on a TV connected to a non-DVR receiver?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

You seem to have nothing positive to say about U-Verse.  Maybe you should switch to cable or Direct TV.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

@mainframe wrote:

I was responding to this person.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

To the OP, have you tried doing a soft reboot of the non dvr stbs (set top boxes)?  Some people have posted that the feature worked after they did that.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

texasguy37 - I stand corrected to the extent that the non-DVR can pause live TV while recording, but there is at least some condition we've encountered that prevented use of the pause function.  I'm sorry I don't have the specific message or condition - I'll let you know what they are if/when the reoccur.  In the meantime, does U-verse claim that there is no condition that prevents a non-DVR TV viewer from pausing live TV?

texasguy37 wrote:

"...other than U-verse, what other TV service allows live TV to be paused on a TV connected to a non-DVR receiver?"

The issue at my house is that I'm considering replacement of a two DVR configuration with the U-verse shared DVR configuration.  To my knowledge, no other cable provider prevents multiple DVR configurations, allowing full DVR functions on any DVR equipped TV, including dedicated, private and secure recording ca[abilities allowing concurrent recording two programs on each.

In my short evaluation of U-verse (once I solved some continuous DVR halting problems), the increased number of HD channels, slick interface and generally smooth operation are improvements over the local competitor.  The ability to move to another room and continue watching a program or watch a recording in any room offer no benefit for me.  My son's inadvertent deletion of scheduled recordings, our being required to cooperatively manage disk space and having to view all recordings in order to select one to watch are distinct disadvantages.  Now only on day 3, I've already had to resolve a conflict attempting to record 5 programs at the same time.  'Being able' to record 4 programs concurrently is only and advantage over single TV DVR configurations - it's a distinct disadvantage for more than two TVs that could employ a DVR for each TV.

The fundamental idea that sharing a single disk drive offers any economic advantage is invalid, since the one time cost of acquiring a disk drive for each TV would be minimal.  Is there any real advantage to sharing a single recording server other than being able to watch any recording on any TV?  Again that's no useful benefit for me - it definitely does not offset the many disadvantages.

If a single recording server is crucial, U-verse needs to step up to providing at the very least the ability for each TV user to manage his own resources.  Personally, I'd just like to have two U-verse DVRs in my home, but then, this would not be cost competitive with alternative cable providers...

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

jimgfitzgerald - thanks for the personal advice - I may do so.  As I explained above, I am evaluating U-verse - I apologize if I assault the sensibilities of any U-verse enthusiasts.  I hope that AT&T pays some attention to the comments and suggestions available on these boards - I constructively offer my own with the hopes that U-verse might eventually address them to improve their products.  Seriously, I do not intend to make anyone mad.

Sincerely...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.