mbutts4901's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, December 22nd, 2012 11:39 PM

Is the "Pause live or recorded shows in one room and pick them up in another" feature a myth?

I had U-verse installed about 24 hours ago (a quick 10 hour process!).  One of the features AT&T really pushes is the ability to pause in one room and pick up at the exact same point in another room.  I have talked to a couple different U-verse support techs and they have no idea how this works.  They suggested recording the program.

I'm just curious if this is vaporware from the sales department or if there is a way to do this.  The DVR model is VIP2250 and the wireless receivers are ISB7005.

I have searched the forums, but most of the postings that mention "pause" are from over a year ago.  I also can't find any manual, getting started guide, or general how-to on this particular feature.

On Edit: fixed typo in topic

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

I, too, thought the adds indicated one could hit the pause button, turn off the TV/STB go to another room and start watching from the paused point.

These posts show that cannot be done without other undesirable steps - Leaving the first STB on and rewinding through something you do not want to see yet.

There is a way to overcome these deficiencies with a few extra button presses - When you are ready to pause - hit chan up - chan down - record - power off.

Go to other TV - Power on - recordings - ok -ok
Pick up where you left off

Probably best to erase recording when done watching, but you could leave it doe auto-erase.

Recording is less flaky than pause.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@mbutts4901 wrote:

I had U-verse installed about 24 hours ago (a quick 10 hour process!).  One of the features AT&T really pushes is the ability to pause in one room and pick up at the exact same point in another room.  I have talked to a couple different U-verse support techs and they have no idea how this works.  They suggested recording the program.

I'm just curious if this is vaporware from the sales department or if there is a way to do this.  The DVR model is VIP2250 and the wireless receivers are ISB7005.

I have searched the forums, but most of the postings that mention "pause" are from over a year ago.  I also can't find any manual, getting started guide, or general how-to on this particular feature.

On Edit: fixed typo in topic

It works just the way it's stated.  Pause a program on one box and pick it up on another box. 

Just remember:  DO NOT TURN THE 1st BOX OFF or you will lose the stream.  I just turn the TV off and leave the box ON, at least until you pick the programming up on box #2.  Also, remember that the buffer is 1 hour.

The other option is as stated by CS:  you can record the program and watch it on any box.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply! 

Here is what I tried:

1. Paused a program on TV #1 (it was a road race and I paused it when a car was in the middle of a curve).
  2. Did not turn off TV #1 or box
  3. Went to different room and turned on box and TV #2
  4. Changed channel to same channel as in first room
  5. Program is NOT paused, but is playing about 20-30 seconds ahead of where I had paused (about the time it took to walk between room and turn on TV #2)

The first box was the DVR and the 2nd one was a wireless.  I also tried it between wireless units.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, initially it the box in the next room will be playing ahead of the paused box, but you can rewind in the new room back to the paused point.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@mbutts4901 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! 

Here is what I tried:

1. Paused a program on TV #1 (it was a road race and I paused it when a car was in the middle of a curve).
  2. Did not turn off TV #1 or box
  3. Went to different room and turned on box and TV #2
  4. Changed channel to same channel as in first room
  5. Program is NOT paused, but is playing about 20-30 seconds ahead of where I had paused (about the time it took to walk between room and turn on TV #2)

The first box was the DVR and the 2nd one was a wireless.  I also tried it between wireless units.

As Joe said, did you try rewinding box #2? 

Box 2 will start 'live' but you should be able to rewind to the paused point of Box #1.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I can rewind on the 2nd TV, but I have to know at which point the first TV was paused to the minute and second.  It's not really "pause live TV and pick them up in another room," it's "go to the other room and rewind to the point you would like to see."  There's nothing paused on the 2nd TV, just manual rewind in the 60 minute buffer.

The three different techs at AT&T phone center all said the live paused program should show up in the recorded items list, which it doesn't.

I appreciate everyone's help.  My patience is a bit worn after a four hour installation outdoors on Thursday, followed by a ten hour (!) installation indoors & out on Friday.  The installers left no instructions, how-to guides, or anything behind.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@mbutts4901 wrote:

I can rewind on the 2nd TV, but I have to know at which point the first TV was paused to the minute and second.  It's not really "pause live TV and pick them up in another room," it's "go to the other room and rewind to the point you would like to see."  There's nothing paused on the 2nd TV, just manual rewind in the 60 minute buffer.

The three different techs at AT&T phone center all said the live paused program should show up in the recorded items list, which it doesn't.

Well, there's a new one.  Never heard that one before but it doesn't surprise me that they'd say such a thing....but then again, NOTHING that CS says surprises me anymore.  Smiley Frustrated

You can access info on many features via the Help screen (remote Menu>Help).

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

Not all CSRs have Uverse service and are not as experienced with it as we users here in the forum.  You were slightly misinformed by the CSR you spoke to.  If you have two STBs on the same channel and you pause  live TV, when you go to the 2nd TV you will have to rewind back to the point where you paused the first one.  The time will be displayed on the paused TVs time line and you will be able to rewind the second TV back to that point.  Another way to determine where you paused the first TV is to pick an image or point in the program you were watching and rewind back to it. 

If you are watching a recorded program and you pause it on the first TV you can go to a second TV, go to the recorded programs list, select that program,  and press resume playback to watch it at the point you paused it on the first one.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

So, just to clarify, if I am watching channel 652 on TV 1, I can press "pause," leave TV 1 and box on, turn TV 2 and box on, go to 652 and I can then rewind back to the Paused frame on TV 1?  i did not know this.

I do know that if I try to pause Live TV on the non-STB it takes a minute or two before I can do that or it will say "Temporarily unavailable."  The last sentence has nothing to do with pausing live TV and switching to another room but that unavailable gives me pause (pun intended) to the room shifting actually working.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

So, just to clarify, if I am watching channel 652 on TV 1, I can press "pause," leave TV 1 and box on, turn TV 2 and box on, go to 652 and I can then rewind back to the Paused frame on TV 1?  i did not know this.

I do know that if I try to pause Live TV on the non-STB it takes a minute or two before I can do that or it will say "Temporarily unavailable."  The last sentence has nothing to do with pausing live TV and switching to another room but that unavailable gives me pause (pun intended) to the room shifting actually working.

Tried it!  Works fine with one little extra... if TV 1 was already on 652, you can RW TV #2 for the fiull length of the buffer that was on TV 1.  Nice!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.