For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Thursday, January 13th, 2011 7:36 PM

Is the cable from your wall phone jack to your RG a premade cable?

Assuming the cable from your phone jack to your RG is apx 3ft (as long as 6ft), is yours connected with a standard out of the box prefabbed cable or did your AT&T install tech make up a line custom at time of install?

Reason I ask is because my installer made a cable up for us and its really too long so to tidy up things I wanted to replace it with a shorter one, its almost two times too long and it look sloppy. Granted its kind of coiled up behind a stand but its still sloppy looking. Can I buy a premade cable to replace it with?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

363 Messages

13 years ago

@lsu-Cajun wrote:

Here ya go, let me state my home was new construction 4 yrs ago, no cat 5, standard gray phone wire. Hope this helps?IMG_5575.JPG

Alright, the green jack on the bottom is the VDSL signal coming in, and the blue jack on the top is the VoIP backfeed to the phones, I think they used CAT5 just to keep everything in one cable and keep it clean

You can use any phone phone cable you want (you'll need 2), the green jack on the bottom will connect to the green phone jack on the RG labeled "Phone Line", then the blue jack on the top will connect to the phone jack labeled "Lines 1 & 2"

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

I replaced the way too long green phone line the installer used with a 1meter phone line works great and looks

better than that coiled up mess.

Guru

• 

363 Messages

13 years ago

The VDSL in phone line can be replaced with any phone line you want, the shorter phone line you want to use should work fine

During my install, I prewired everything myself, and I made a short phone line out of some spare phone line cable I had and some RJ-11 ends, worked perfectly

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Hum, if memory serves, at the wall outlet where this cable plugs into, the wires split apart into two phone type plugs as the outlet the installer added has several outlets, it looked like each plug has two strands into the plug, so two wires went to one plug and two to another, the outlet plate had like a hood on the top of it, never saw one like this before....so you guys are saying I can replace this (cat 5 looking??) cable with a standard phone cord extension? Maybe I need to post some pics for clarification...??  Smiley Surprised

Guru

• 

363 Messages

13 years ago

@lsu-Cajun wrote:

Hum, if memory serves, at the wall outlet where this cable plugs into, the wires split apart into two phone type plugs as the outlet the installer added has several outlets, it looked like each plug has two strands into the plug, so two wires went to one plug and two to another, the outlet plate had like a hood on the top of it, never saw one like this before....so you guys are saying I can replace this (cat 5 looking??) cable with a standard phone cord extension? Maybe I need to post some pics for clarification...??  Smiley Surprised

They probably used CAT5 to combine the VDSL in and the VoIP out to be backfed to the phones

It may be possible to shorten the wires going to the green VDSL in port, by cutting it to length then just crimping on an RJ-11 phone plug on it

Yeah, just to be safe, it may be a good idea to post some pics

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Here ya go, let me state my home was new construction 4 yrs ago, no cat 5, standard gray phone wire. Hope this helps?IMG_5575.JPG

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Super cool, many thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.