kbathsinc's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 1:42 AM

Is the ATT DVR really this stupid, or am I?

I simply want to pause a show and then watch the rest of it later. As far as I can tell, the stupid dvr goes to sleep after 6 hours and then you have to start the show over, no option to resume. With Directv I could pause a show and anytime, from anywhere, even if the dvr lost power and restarted, resume and pick up where I left off.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
kbathsinc - Can you very carefully reproduce the following steps to verify your theory ??

You are watching a recording.
You hit the stop button (square icon on button)
The TV shows a menu - Resume play, start over, erase, recordings, watch live.

You go on with your life.

The next day you go to recordings, click ok on the show listing - What does the menu say?

Pressing the stop button on a Recorded TV show, will allow you to do "resume play" later.  I think that the pause keypress on a recorded program, will pause it but then it starts back up after a few minutes.  I bet he is doing that, after he leaves, the program is playing by itself, to the end and then it would not give a resume option.

It;s his technique, lol.

I wonder if this silly trick might work?  Lets say you are watching a Recorded program and you wish to leave.  You should be able to change channels (and not press stop or pause, or any other key).  You press 6-0-2, which changes it to ESPN.  When you are ready to resume the recorded program, you press 9-9-9-9 which should bring you back to the recorded program that you were watching, at the point, when you changed channels, since you did not exit the program.  I can't test it now but is that possible?  My wife, all of the time, shuts down the TV while watching a recording and it starts where she turned it off.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

dhascall - I was going to go in that direction next. I use the last button. Either entering the chan number or last button leaves the recording. Another last button resumes the recording where left off.

I use the channel number entry when the FF IR was corrupted to either chan up or chan down & last will not take me where I want to go.

Chan up chan down also "pauses" the recording. The only fragile one is the pause button.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

FYI a huge dumb limitation of the ATT DVR is that you can't pause a recording and resume if it goes to sleep in between, and it goes to sleep after 6 hours of inactivity (no way to disable this). Pause a show before you go to bed and finish tomorrow? You better plan on watching the show again or searching around trying to find where you were. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kbathsinc - Just use the stop button instead of the pause button. Turn off the TV & STB.

When you are ready to resume = find the show on the recording list and select resume play & it will start up where you left off.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kbathsinc - DVR does that when you find it in the recording list and select resume play.

In fact if you loose power during a recording & get it back it will record a second segment when the signal is available.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

The problem I am having is that resume doesn't show up. I can only start over. I see you said I have to press stop instead of pause in order to be able to resume, which is silly but I'll try that. I don't plan out whether I'm going to start watching again in 10 minutes or not. Anyway I will play with it.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kbathsinc - Think of pause as for only a few minutes.

Your last post reminds me - if you let a show play to the end when you see it on the recording list it does not include resume as a selection.

Stopping at any intermediate location will allow you to resume at that location.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you hit record while watching a show, then turn the system off, and find the recording later, there is no resume, because you haven't been watching the recording, but the live stream.  One way to work around this (assuming you haven't been pausing or rewinding) is to change the channel away from what you're watching, then back, and THEN press the record button.

Or, if you know it's likely you're going to step away, record it to begin with, select the recording from the recording list and watch the recording as it is recording.  Then you can resume where you stopped it.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

So I came home today, try to continue watching, and sure enough, the only option is to start over. This has nothing to do with watching live, I didn't watch any of this show when it was live on Sunday. As far as I can tell the problem is related to the fact that the receiver goes into power save mode and loses the data or place to resume.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kbathsinc - Can you very carefully reproduce the following steps to verify your theory ??

You are watching a recording.
You hit the stop button (square icon on button)
The TV shows a menu - Resume play, start over, erase, recordings, watch live.

You go on with your life.

The next day you go to recordings, click ok on the show listing - What does the menu say?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.