Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Im blind, need help to turn on audio descriptive features

Contributor

Im blind, need help to turn on audio descriptive features

Im blind, im frustrated, and I have worn out my sighted friends trying to get help.  I have a new vizio TV (vizio said its not their problem) and a wireless cable box with the U300 package from AT&T U-Verse. I want to turn on the audio descriptive service. (yes, I know that not all channels offer it) I know TBS, TNT and many others have an audio descriptive feed that goes directly into the cable receiver just like spanish language used to. They used to call it SAP. Now to be politically correct its the "audio descriptive service" for the blind. I know they have closed captions for the deaf and thats easy! Why do they insist on trying to show video help to the blind? Anyway, im VERY frustrated after many weeks of trying. I have had sighted help, blind help, tech help keeps promising to email me instructions and they never arrive. I really want to enjoy the TV I am paying a fortune for each month to watch. If I cant get the descriptive service to work its no better than a radio and I might as well unplug it. Can anyone help me?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎03-26-2016 10:46 AM

Re: Im blind, need help to turn on audio descriptive features

One of our ACEs @JefferMC  posted the following information recently:

Video Description for U-verse TV

Blind or visually impaired subscribers can use the AT&T U-verse Video Description feature to make television and other media accessible.

With the Video DescriptionFCC video encyclopedia link opens in a new window feature enabled, audio descriptions of a TV program's key visual elements are inserted into natural pauses in the program's dialogue. Video Description supplements the regular audio track of the program when information about the visual elements is not contained in the audio portion of the program. With Video Description, U-verse subscribers can listen to audio descriptions of TV shows on a secondary audio channel.

Configuring Video Description in U-verse

Video Description for U-verse is provided through the receiver's secondary audio feature and can be accessed using the U-verse Menu. The secondary audio may also be identified as a language feature, such as Spanish or SPA, because it is also used to provide Spanish or other language translations of English language TV programs. You can set your preferred global language in the Menu television screen with your U-verse remote control. Depending upon the program being viewed, when listening to the secondary audio, you may hear the primary audio with Video Description, Spanish or other language translation, a duplicate of the primary audio, or, in cases where no secondary audio is being transmitted, silence.

Setting Audio Language and On Screen Language preferences for U-verse TV

Setting your audio and on screen language preferences is easy:

1. Press Menu on your remote control.
  2. Select Options, then select either Audio language or On screen language.
  3. Press OK and follow the on screen directions.
  4. Select Save.

Setting Closed Captioning preferences for all channels

To enable or disable Closed Captioning, press the Options/Enter button on the lower right corner of your ATT U-verse Remote Control and select On or Off.

You can also access Closed Captioning via the set-top box menu:

1. Press Menu on your AT&T U-verse Remote Control.
  2. Select Options, then select Closed captioning.
  3. Press OK and follow the on-screen instructions.

Once enabled, Closed Captioning will be displayed on all channels, if available by broadcasters.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Using-your-U-verse-TV/SAP-control/td-p/4346262

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Why is this marked SOLVED when its been over a year and i still dont have it? I have had tech after tech to my house. Manager after manager on the phone. I was told today by a man on the phone with my tech in a thick Indian accent that AT&T uverse does not now nor do they expect to at any time in the near future offer this service. I tried to explain that American laws or the ADA says you MUST provide this service to the blind. He offered to help me turn on closed captioning, he offered me a new package if i upgraded. He was upset my cell service is Verizon. In the end he was so rude and clueless my tech hung up on him and called his local manager. 

One year and three months later i still cant watch tv that i pay a lot of money for. They refuse to take away the movie channels without raising my bill. Im angry, frustrated and at this point thinking of seeking legal help

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Expert)
Accepted by mibrnsurg
‎03-27-2016 8:39 AM

Not all programs are offered in the "Video Description Mode".  Below is a list or a link for Video Description Mode programming for each network.

Broadcast Networks

ABC

Beyond the Tank
black-ish
Fresh Off the Boat
The Goldbergs
The Middle
Mistresses
Modern Family
Nashville
The Real O'Neals
Secrets and Lies
Shark Tank

CBS

BLUE BLOODS
CRIMINAL MINDS
NCIS
NCIS: LOS ANGELES
NCIS: NEW ORLEANS
THE BIG BANG THEORY 
LUCKY DOG
DR. CHRIS PET VET
THE HENRY FORD’S INNOVATION NATION
THE INSPECTORS
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL'S HIDDEN HEROES
GAME CHANGERS WITH KEVIN FRAZIER

Fox schedule of described programs

NBC call (818) 777-7030

Non-Broadcast Networks

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (2)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support