For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
srandolph3's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, December 25th, 2011 6:03 PM

ISB7500 Reboots and Deletes

I recently received an ISB7500 DVR to replace an older silver dvr. The new DVR is certainly speedier with channel changes and menu views more snappy than the old dvr.

However, the ISB7500 has a really irritating problem. When I go to the DVR menu to watch a recorded show, selecting a show and pressing ok should take me to the play or erase menu. Instead, this new dvr freezes and reboots. After waiting for the unit to reboot, I'll go back to the menu to try watching the show again, however, often I find the show has been deleted. Ugghhh!

I've placed several tech support calls and had a tech come out to the house. I've replaced the unit  with another ISB7500 but no luck. I think the newer ISB7500 is even worse than the first one. It locks up even more often and more readily deletes recordings than the first unit.

As anybody been abe to find a solution?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

Sounds like a plan; let us know the outcome.

I've disconnected the coax cable from the DVR and replaced it with an ethernet cable and so far - knock on wood -  no errors. The upstairs receiver is still connected to the gateway via coax too and it seems to be working fine as well.

My next task is to get a couple of ethernet-over-coax adapters so I can make this installation a little more permanent!

I think we can call this case closed.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Take a look at this post.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the link. It looks like there's no solution to the problem yet? Anyway, here are the screenshots from UV Realtime...

Stats-2011-12-26-12-05-50.png

ErrorTable-2011-12-26-12-06-05.png

Bitloading-2011-12-26-12-06-13.png

CoaxHPNA-2011-12-26-12-06-31.png

ChannelsStreams-2011-12-26-12-06-45.png

5 Attachments

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Your problem is evident there in the Coax/HPNA screen. All of those PHY rate readings should be 112 or higher, your is showing two links that are less than that.

You need to call technical support, have them send a technician to your house, he needs to check the entire coax wiring installation in your home, and check or replace the following:

• Wall plates
• Splitters (if necessary, replace with the HPNA-certified 1.5GHz splitters)
• Barrel connectors
• Coax cable end connectors / compression fittings
• Diplexer (if used in your installation)

Once he has replaced all components and the coax system is working properly, re-run UV Realtime and check that all PHY readings are 112 or higher.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Using the mac addresses can I nail down which wo runs have the low PHY numbers? I had tech support out between the first and second DVR's. They ran through all the wiring and replaced all the connectors. He really didn't like the cabling used in house - Monster Cable MV Quad RG6 - and indicated that might be our problem. The cabling runs through the walls to the garage. We are on slab so I'm not ready to tear into the walls to replace the cabling. The cabling meets at a video distribution box and then goes outside to the street. The tech checked everything he could put his hands on. I've been a Uverse subscriber for nearly three years. Up until last month I was using the original Cisco silver color DVR without trouble. Is the ISB7500 more sensitive to a poor signal? I'm wondering, how does the poor PHY readings affect the playback of a previously recorded show? Is the DVR trying to do some sort of check before allowing me to select play? Once the unit reboots then I can play the show normally - assuming the show wasn't deleted during the reboot. Thanks for the help and suggestions, Scott

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

But the MAC addys for boxes are usually not the same ones on the box's sticker, but you can still determine which is which.

For most of us with 3800 RGs, we can no longer see the Coax interfaces in UVRT, so it makes things more difficult. Smiley Sad

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

12 years ago

@srandolph3 wrote:
Using the mac addresses can I nail down which wo runs have the low PHY numbers? I had tech support out between the first and second DVR's. They ran through all the wiring and replaced all the connectors. He really didn't like the cabling used in house - Monster Cable MV Quad RG6 - and indicated that might be our problem. The cabling runs through the walls to the garage. We are on slab so I'm not ready to tear into the walls to replace the cabling. The cabling meets at a video distribution box and then goes outside to the street. The tech checked everything he could put his hands on. I've been a Uverse subscriber for nearly three years. Up until last month I was using the original Cisco silver color DVR without trouble. Is the ISB7500 more sensitive to a poor signal? I'm wondering, how does the poor PHY readings affect the playback of a previously recorded show? Is the DVR trying to do some sort of check before allowing me to select play? Once the unit reboots then I can play the show normally - assuming the show wasn't deleted during the reboot. Thanks for the help and suggestions, Scott

When there is something wrong in the coax area, it can cause problems whole system wide, making the DVR act goofy, etc.;)

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Perhaps I should try connecting the DVR to the gateway via ethernet instead? Is it as simple as connecting the DVR to one of the four ports in the switch?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

It looks like you only have 2 U-Verse units (the DVR and one other STB), both of them may have a problem with their coax run, but it's also possible that only one of them does.

Yes, you can change them over to Ethernet if you want. You just need to disconnect the coax cable from the unit and plug it's Ethernet port into one of the LAN ports on the 2Wire gateway.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

But the MAC addys for boxes are usually not the same ones on the box's sticker, but you can still determine which is which.

For most of us with 3800 RGs, we can no longer see the Coax interfaces in UVRT, so it makes things more difficult. Smiley Sad

Doh, just just your reply after I spent a few minutes reading stickers and finding MAC addresses Smiley Happy

Anyway, here's an updated Coax/HPNA screenshot. I found all the low PHY numbers have one receiver in common - my older STB up in my bedroom.

CoaxHPNA-2011-12-26-23-57-40.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.