Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 10:59 PM

I have the red x with 2 dots....AGAIN

I just replaced my dead DVR a month ago.  Now it's doing it again.  Kept freezing up.  After powering down everything and reboot, I have the red x with 2 dots.  I found this info which doesn't make any sense to me:

WMCE and the Motorola Boxes (Windows Media Center Edition)

Instructions courtesy of sdwhwk @ here.

I found a trick to actually get MCE to learn the codes. What you have to do is point the remote down to the ground away from MCEs IR reciever, press and hold the button it asks for, raise it up to the reciever’s level until it says release, but instead of releasing the button, point it back down to the ground. Only release the button to change numbers when it asks.

Here is a full guide to get MCE to work with the Moto VIP1200 and recognize the IR signal:

1. Stick the IR Transmitter in front of the IR Reciever as shown @here.

2. Open windows Media Center

3. Right click on the screen and select settings.

4. Click on “TV”.

5. Click “Set Up TV Signal” and Click “Yes” if it comes up on the screen.

6. On the Set Up Your TV Signal Screen, “select Next”.

7. On the Confirm Your Region Screen, make sure it is set to your region. IF it is, click “Yes”, if not, change it. Click “Next”.

8. On the Automatic TV Signal Setup Screen, select “I will manually configure my TV signal” and click “Next”.

9. On the Select Your TV Signal Screen, select “Cable” and then Next.

10. On the Do You Have a Set-top Box Screen, click “Yes” then Next.

11. On the Prepare for Set-top Box Setup screen, click “Next”.

12. On the Select a Working TV Signal, Select the one you have setup (COAX would use Channel 1-4, others self explainatory).

13. On the Set-top Box Remote Screen,Select ““Yes” and then “Next”.

14. On the Identify Set-top Box Remote, click “Next”.

15. Follow the on screen instructions. When it goes to the Remote Not Recognize Screen, select “Have Media Center learn my remote from scratch” and then “Next”.

16. On the Prepare to Identify Remote Screen, hit next.

17. On Channel Change Buttons, select the method used, (on mine I selected “No, it does not”. May be different for different areas or future upgrades) and click on “Next”.

18. On the IR Learning Screen, Make sure the U-verse remote is set on “AT&T” and hold the remote away from the IR reciever for Media Center. Hold down the number, raise the remote to the receiver until it says “Release button to continue” then move it away from the IR receiver. Keep the button held down.

19. Do this a minimum of two times until it is ready for the next button and repeat step 17. If it takes more than 4 times (one entry try and one confirm try), then make sure the remote is not in the line of site on the receiver until the button is held down for a second and that when held up to the receiver, it is no more than three inches from it. Aparently it sends some type of junk before the actual code is sent (Universal remote thing?).

20. On the Set-top Box Codes Learned Successfully Screen, click on “Next”.

21. On the Select Number of Digits Screen, select “Four Digits” and then “Next.

22. On the How Do You Change Channels? Screen, Select the approprate option (Mine was “No, I just enter the channel number”), and click “Next”.

23. On the Test Channel Changing Screen, use the Media Center Remote and try changing the channel. Wait about 10 seconds and the channel should change (Give it a little time for the IR signal to travel down the wire to the Set-top Receiver and the TV signal to clear the video capture card buffer to the screen). If successful, select “The set-top box changed the channel correctly”, then “Next”.

24. On the Set IR Signal Speed screen, hit the channel up or down buttons at least six times. With a delay, the channels should change. It does go in order (1,2,3,4,...), so if the channel does not exist, just hit up or down until it hits a channel that exists. Select “The channel changed correctly” if it changed and then “Next”. (Signal speed should be “Fast”.)

25. On IR Signal Speed Set Screen, Click “Next”.

26. You are done. Select “Return to TV Settings” and click “Finish”. (As of this writing, the Dallas area does not have a guide for u-verse, so the Set up guide option is useless.”)

Now the down side to it is all MCE will be able to do is change the channels, but for those that want to use their comps as a second DVR, it will do fine. My suggestion though is that if you do that, you would need to set your system clock to what the program guide shows in the Media Center Player because there is a slight delay in the signal from the Video Capture Card buffer. There is also about a seven second delay on channel changes. Not sure if there is a way to speed that up though.

Update: I switched to using MediaPortal for my MC because I got tired of that delay when changing channels. WMC apparently has a buffer I can’t seem to disable. If you are interested on how I set MP up (It was a pain), PM me and I’ll walk you though it. If you know how to disable that annoying buffer in WMC, pm me that also.

I don't see how I can reset anything if I don't have access to the box.  Is there another way to do a reset?

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

It's ok now except that I lost all of my recordings.  We'll see how it goes.  This is my 3rd box.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

If it happens again, the DVR could be bad.  Since this has happened before, you might look into getting a good surge protector.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Since doing the disaster recovery, I have lost most of my recording space.  All of my recordings were lost so I started over.  I only have 28 recordings and it is saying I only have 7% of my space left.  My DVR is a VIP1225 with a capacity of 233 SD hours or 65 HD hours.  I don't have HD so I should have 233 hours available. 

How can I check on the DVR now to see what it says my capacity is?

If it has been diminished, should I just order a new DVR?

Also, while I was trying to look for the recording capacity I looked at my Account Manager page.  My core package is U300 with Starz, Encore and Showtime.  It says I have the Starz Package, The Encore Package and the Starz/Encore Package.

Does that mean I have been paying for Starz and Encore twice every month?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

From the U-verse Realtime tool that you previously downloaded, post a screenshot of the Channels/Streams tab.

Also, if you have the U300 Package, the Starz, Encore and Showtime channels are included as part of the package.  What is shown on your monthly bill?

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Every time I want to use Realtime I have to uninstall and install again.  I got it going, but you have to tell me again how to post it for you.   My bill does not give a breakdown.  I had added the Starz and Encore when they were having the $25 rebate.  Prior to that we only had Showtime. 

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Channels-Streams.png

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting the screenshot.  The 35.4 shown for "Total Space" is not correct.  Perform the steps shown in my message above to do another disaster recovery.  After the process completes, repost the Channels/Streams screenshot.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Talk then......

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Ok.  Good luck.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I couldn't get the disaster recovery to work.  I kept pushing the buttons and combinations of the buttons.  It did reboot and now all of my recordings are gone again. 

I think I'll just order another new box.  Do you know if I can do that on-line?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.