dsmith2001's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, October 26th, 2013 1:46 PM

How to organize files on the DVR?

So we have several shows we're recording. The problem is, some shows get neatly organized into folders, others do not. Let's say we set the DVR to record Duck Dynasty- all episodes, any time. After a couple of days, there are two Duck Dynasty folders, one with 3 episodes. The other folder has 5 episodes... two of them are duplicates from the other folder. Then there are three episodes that aren't in a folder... they're just in the main directory. They are all recorded from the same channel, but for some reason, the DVR isn't "smart" enough to figure out that they are all the same show and all belong in the same folder.

So... how do I login to my DVR from a computer and start moving files into folders, and get my DVR organized so it's easy to find stuff, plus remove all of the duplicates?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

10 years ago

Normally you get multiple entries in the main list because you have multiple series recording entries for the series which are competing with each other, or because you manually select one.

You cannot manually organize the DVR list in any way (other than to sort it by date, and sort it alphabetically by show, which is really just a display sort).

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dsmith2001 - Just to add to Jeffers description - episodes are placed in one folder only when recorded by the same series schedule.

The series recording is kind of loose - look carefully at the wording - if you are using "around the time" you will get multiple episodes. Check your series list vs. scheduled list. You may not need as many records, although, I am pretty sure there is no way to get two copies of the same episode.

Perhaps I should clarify that last sentence - No way to get a second recording of the exact instance. You will get another copy of another instance of the same episode if you have a recording set for that one. Look for the option to record only one.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

I am frustrated by this problem also.  I am only able to record 2 HD programs at once.  When there is a conflict I try to find a different time for the same program/episode in HD and that recording does not go into the folder for that program.  When a different HD time is not available I choose one of the programs to record in SD and again, not in the folder.  Should the DVR software be smart enough to figure this all out? Yep. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Are there plans to improve the organization of the recordings?  I'm evaluating UVerse and am a long time Directv customer.  Not being able to get your programming organized is a major pain.  

Thanks,

Michael

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mnguyen21 wrote:

Are there plans to improve the organization of the recordings?  I'm evaluating UVerse and am a long time Directv customer.  Not being able to get your programming organized is a major pain.  

Thanks,

Michael

@mnguyen21 - the only other DVR that I've used was Comcast.  No file organization, there, either.  I'm not sure what file organization options that Direct has but they have many features that are patented.  The buyout/merger (if it happens) may push some features to AT&T (if it works on our platform), but we must see first.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Directv's DVR recording organization is much better then U-Verses.  Whether a show is recorded individually or as part of a series all recordings of the same show get congretated in a single folder.

AT&T's U-Verse DR recording organization is pretty bad and it took us forever (as recent Directv customers) to figure out the rather lame scattershot method of differentiation between individual show recordings and series recordings. 

It's all the same shows so what advantage is there in having for instance 'Big Bang Theory" shows listed seperately when recorded individually and in folders when recorded as a series. All recordings should in one location and have 1 line item with ALL recordings.

It show U-Verse has so far not been well thought out when it comes to how to list the DVR recording.  By the way if you call AT&T for help almost none of the tech support folks are aware of how recordings are organized and some I spoke to have never even had the U-Verse service.  We basically had to figuire this out on our own.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.