bdgard87's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 25th, 2013 10:20 PM

How many shows can you record at once?

How many shows should I be able to record at once?

All advertising says 4. I'm curious what others are able to do?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@jeayv wrote:

For me, I have tv with recording in 5 rooms.  When I have maybe 4 recordings, I get an error message and in order for me to view channels, I have to delete recordings.  Why does it do this?  When I took out services, the technician failed to state that I would only be able to record X amount which affected all televisions.  This is crap for the amount of money I am paying per month.

You have a maximum of 4 streams coming into your house.  Those can either be watched or recorded. 

That's why, if you are recording 4 programs, you have no streams left to watch and you have to cancel one.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

You have a maximum of 4 streams coming into your house.  Those can either be watched or recorded. 

That's why, if you are recording 4 programs, you have no streams left to watch and you have to cancel one.

Although, you could watch something already recorded.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@jeayv wrote:

For me, I have tv with recording in 5 rooms.  When I have maybe 4 recordings, I get an error message and in order for me to view channels, I have to delete recordings.  Why does it do this?  When I took out services, the technician failed to state that I would only be able to record X amount which affected all televisions.  This is crap for the amount of money I am paying per month.

I'm confused.  This seems to contradict your earlier post in regards to which tv to set up the DVR to.  I think what he is saying is that regardless of which tv he is watching, if the DVR is recording 4 shows he can not watch live tv.

Your earlier post seemed to imply that if you put the DVR on the least used tv that you could watch live tv in his scenario. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

NormChar - It is complicated & also a moving target. The recommend to place the DVR on the least used TV is based on the DVR limitation of three HD & one SD. It is to allow that fourth stream coming into the house to be watched in HD. Perhaps a minor advantage, but, nonetheless, an advantage.

Of course, it requires your fourth stream is HD.

And, it is changing - allowing four HD recordings. I think there is still an advantage because the DVR must serve recordiing & playing, where a standard STB is watching only one channel. Might as well give the DVR a rest from mere watching, when possible.

And, of course , you are correct, once four chans are being recorded, it matters not where the DVR is located. Unless maybe you have it connected cat5 for best efficiency to send you a recording because you are blocked from watching live, while doing all that recording.

As I said - its complicated.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks.  That was my main question.  That if 4 shows are recording it doesn't matter where you place the DVR.

However, it also sounds like you are saying that if 3 HD are recording without a 4th SD recording, if you try to watch the DVR tv you can not watch an HD channel?  But if you try to watch a non-dvr receiver you can watch an HD channel?  

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@NormChar wrote:

Thanks.  That was my main question.  That if 4 shows are recording it doesn't matter where you place the DVR.

However, it also sounds like you are saying that if 3 HD are recording without a 4th SD recording, if you try to watch the DVR tv you can not watch an HD channel?  But if you try to watch a non-dvr receiver you can watch an HD channel?  

EXACTLY!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

see a tech told me on my original 4 i had enough bandwidth that i could get more streams its the software they said on the stb and the dvr not capable of handing more then 4 streams at once 

Line 1 Line 2  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line StateUpUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)2761527615
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)30403040
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)6373663332
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)1242812668
ModulationVDSL2VDSL2
Data PathInterleavedInterleaved
SN Margin (dB)24.826.824.627.1
Line Attenuation (dB)22.416.022.615.1
Output Power(dBm)14.5-5.414.5-5.8
Errored Seconds0000
Loss of Signal0000
Loss of Frame0000
FEC Errors23710041
CRC Errors0000

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

Stream limit remains at a maximum 4.  Depending on your profile, you could be limited to 3.

Do you know what your profile is?  Menu>Options>System Options>System Info>System Resources.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Thanks for explaining this.

I've gotten a better understanding how it all works now.

We recently signed up for U-Verse and we will only be having SD programming so let's hope my wife's viewing habits doesn't interupt my surfing habits.

I'm sure if I must I can switch my internet back to a dedicated line for more $$.

Also the price is fair, considering we currently have DirecTV and our monthly bill is ~$100 a month for 1 DVR reciever with standard definetion and no additional packages like HBO besides the local channel lineup.

So I'm sure U-Verse will be able to beat my current provider by a long shot, well, hoping at least.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mszapalac - With only two viewers, straight viewing is not going to cause any conflict. You could each watch two at the same time.

It is recording that eats up multiple channels at the same time. I do think it is unusual to have the whole schedule used up with recording activity. More likely there is one or two hours of congestion per week.

Also, recordings need to be watched, If a person has a heavy recording schedule,, they watch those recordings, instead of live. So, that frees up a channel to be recorded.

Bottom line is you will not have conflict unless your wifes viewing habits include a heavy recording schedule. Even then it would be sporadic & you could coordinate your activities at that those few times. One option is to record in the middle of the night when a show is repeated late at nite.

I do not follow you internet reference. There should be no relatationship between TV and internet.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.