Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: How do I program a remote to a specific Uverse cable box?

Contributor

How do I program a remote to a specific Uverse cable box?

I have two Uverse cable boxes, one wired and one wireless and two S30 remotes. Is there a way to program the remote to control a specific box?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎10-21-2019 4:44 AM

You don't program the remotes to control the att dvr or receivers (all att remotes are already programed to handle those).  You program the remote to control the tv attached to the dvr or receiver.  When programmed correctly the remote will control the connected tv's on/off and volume (sometimes mute too).  It also may or may not control the tv's input select.  Anything else is just luck.  Just keep your tv's remote nearby to use all the special functions the att remote doesn't provide.

Obviously since the remote needs to be programed for the specific tv, unless all the tv's are all the same make and model you cannot interchange the remotes.  The remotes will all control the dvr/receiver's on/off but that's all.

Read the remote's user manual on how to program the remotes (pdf for s20/s30 can be downloaded using this link).   The S30 manual will show a list of 5-digit remote codes for various devices.  If you cannot program the remote for a specific tv (e.g., it's not in the list provided) then do  a google search for "5-digit remote codes for <make and model>" where <make and model> are the tv's make and model.  Maybe you will get lucky.  Maybe not.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

This was not my question, so let me clarify further. I have two TVs set up in a media room to watch football games.  I want to designate/ program one remote to control the wired cable box, and the other remote to control the wireless cable box. 

As it is, if I want to change channels on the wired cable box, the wireless cable box picks up the remote signal and changes channels too. Very annoying, would like a solution for this. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

As stated, you cannot program a remote to control a specific receiver.  You can program it to control a specific TV, but not a receiver.  What you are wanting to do is not possible.  Sorry.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

As it is, if I want to change channels on the wired cable box, the wireless cable box picks up the remote signal and changes channels too. Very annoying, would like a solution for this. 

I thought I was clear.  The att remotes all are pre-programmed to control all the att dvrs and receivers (and that cannot be changed) so what you do to one you do to all that all can "see" that remote.   That is precisely what you are seeing.

If you want two tv's in the same room then put one of those tv's dvr or receiver in another room where what you do to one doesn't get "seen" by the other.  Just use a long hdmi cable.  That's the only way you are going to control the two tv's independently.  Of course in that kind of setup you will have to turn on/off the tremotly controlled tv "manually".  It is what it is.  U-verse is not designed to have two tv's in the same room controlled by two independent receivers (or dvr and a receiver)..

I don't know how to explain this any  other way.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support