How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Hello AT&T customers!  I recently had the walls to my bedroom painted, so I unhooked all my electronics and tossed them in a box.

 

Now I need to get the AT&T U-Verse box hooked up again so I can watch the movie channels again!  What all cords and equipment came with the AT&T U-Verse box, and how do I get them all connected properly?

 

 

Message 1 of 21
Expert

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Do you have the tv setup again?  What is the connection coming out of your wall?  Is it coax or an ethernet connection?

Message 2 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

 


RCSMG wrote:

Do you have the tv setup again?  What is the connection coming out of your wall?  Is it coax or an ethernet connection?


My TV is set up.  I actually played some video games on it.

 

 

I think the connection is ethernet.  The wall looks like this:

 

Message 3 of 21
Expert

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Take the ethernet cable and connect it from the wall to your stb.  Use the ethernet or Cat5 cable to  connect the wall outlet to the networking port on the stb.  What do the other cables look like that you have?

Message 4 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

 


RCSMG wrote:

Take the ethernet cable and connect it from the wall to your stb.  Use the ethernet or Cat5 cable to  connect the wall outlet to the networking port on the stb.  What do the other cables look like that you have?


 

 

I have both a coaxial cable and a composite cable.  I try hooking the AT&T U-Verse box to my TV both ways using this guide, and my TV screen is just black.  Isn't it supposed to show a blue screen with white text on it?

 

The AT&T U-Verse box was also connected to a power outlet like this during my two attempts, so I'm not trying to use this thing without any power!:

 

 

Message 5 of 21
Expert

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Your link took me to a general ATT login page. 

Can you post a photo of the screen on your TV?

 

This is the same box you had before you painted? 

 

This same room was already provisioned/connected for Uverse?

Message 6 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

 


spd2demun wrote:

Your link took me to a general ATT login page. 

Can you post a photo of the screen on your TV?

 

This is the same box you had before you painted? 

 

This same room was already provisioned/connected for Uverse?


I copied the entire link, pasted it as a text file, and uploaded it to Rapidshare.

 

 

This is a photo of my TV screen:

 

I am using the same box as I had before I had my room painted.  It was connected to AT&T U-Verse, and displayed everything just fine.

Message 7 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Just a shot in the dark--is your TV set to channel 3, and did you check the TV setting for input?

 

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 8 of 21
Expert

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Do you have another Ethernet patch cord you can try for that box?

 

If the same result, try swapping that box with another one in that location (the newly-painted room).

 

 

Message 9 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

 


docbombay wrote:

Just a shot in the dark--is your TV set to channel 3, and did you check the TV setting for input?

 

docbombay


 

When I had my TV hooked up via coax, I had it on channel 3 and channel 4.

 

When I had my TV hooked up via composite, I had it on video 1 and video 2.

Message 10 of 21
ACE - Master

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Do you have another DVR or STB elseware in the house you can go look at for reference?  I would go look at one of those and try to match things as close as possible for the bedroom and take it from there.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

 


BeeBeeSA wrote:

Do you have another DVR or STB elseware in the house you can go look at for reference?  I would go look at one of those and try to match things as close as possible for the bedroom and take it from there.


 

I looked at the AT&T U-Verse box set up on my back porch.  It's connected the same way as my bedroom box.  The only difference is that my bedroom box won't display on my TV.

Message 12 of 21
Expert

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Then, you'll need to try swapping the boxes as suggested earlier, and/or swap the Ethernet cables and see if it's the box or the cable.

 

Is your TV small enough to carry to the porch and try it there?  Could be something wrong with the TV?

Message 13 of 21

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

 


spd2demun wrote:

Then, you'll need to try swapping the boxes as suggested earlier, and/or swap the Ethernet cables and see if it's the box or the cable.

 

Is your TV small enough to carry to the porch and try it there?  Could be something wrong with the TV?


 

My TV is too heavy to carry to the porch.

 

I don't think there is something wrong with my TV.  I can play my Xbox 360 on it.

Message 14 of 21
Employee

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Is it possible paint got on the contacts in the wall plate and the cable end is not making good contact. If it is paint you should be able to clean it off but be carefull not to bend the pins. Sticking the end of the cable in several times if the coating is thin may scrape it off. Depending on the type of paint a drop of water or paint thinner may work. If you have the tools just replacing the connector in the wall if the problem was called by paint. In the past all you needed was a screwdriver and longnose pliers. Not sure how the wires are connected using newer connectors.

 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app on your device.
It allows you to troubleshoot in the palm of your hand - quickly and easily!
You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support