For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
FinderMI's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 8:00 PM

How do I access my Uverse DVR remotely

Does one need to have AT&T internet in order to access their DVR over the internet or can it be done with any internet provider?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Does one need to have AT&T internet in order to access their DVR over the internet or can it be done with any internet provider?

I'm not talking about viewing - I want to be able to schedule
recordings, cancel recordings, etc.

Even when once upon a time such functions were supported (not anymore except through the uverse app) you couldn't do those from just "any internet provider".  It had to be specifically from the uverse supplied web site.

As mentioned earlier you can do those functions, including viewing, your dvr by using a device like a Slingbox.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I'm not talking about viewing - I want to be able to schedule
recordings, cancel recordings, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

DVR scheduling is no longer available online and but is available only through the UVERSE APP 

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

Are you using a PC or a Mac, or possibly Linux?  If yes, the old method of accessing DVR controls via uverse.com is no longer available,  Hard to tell from the original question.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

If I may be so bold as to offer a counterpoint to slingbox. Were I by myself, I think this would work fine.  But when the uverse settop boxes are shared with family or other household members, this is much tougher to do as I don't want to give up exclusive use of the settop box to the slingbox. 

When uverse.com was active, it made the value proposition of paying for Uverse easier to justify because virtually all the bases were covered.  The only thing uverse couldn't do, and still cannot do, is allow the user to watch recorded DVR programs.  The main competition Xfinity does offer this service, ahem.  I am not aware of any technical reason with existing uverse hardware to not allow viewing of the recording off the home network or even from on the home network to a supported device like a tablet.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

When someone poses a question I tend to answer specifically in the context of the stated question and problem.  This thread's title topic started with "How do I..." and the posed question can be interpreted in terms of that topic title.  So I answered in that context.  Your point about Slingbox devices in a family context is a good point however.

As for the uverse limitations all I can is speculate.  Maybe IPTV technology imposes such limitation (Xfinity is "broadcast" across old coax).  Maybe some of the uverse limitations are imposed because ATT is a slave to the entertainment industry and we all know how flexible they are on what can be viewed where (in digital formats).  Maybe it's the contracts ATT negotiates with the suppliers.  This is all just guesswork on my part.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_ wrote:

When someone poses a question I tend to answer specifically in the context of the stated question and problem.  This thread's title topic started with "How do I..." and the posed question can be interpreted in terms of that topic title.  So I answered in that context.  Your point about Slingbox devices in a family context is a good point however.

Fair enough. FWIW, when I first saw this suggestion i was committed to buy one, but after a lot of research realizing the limitations, it just wasn't worth it. So technically yes this can work, but disclosing the pros and cons would make sense if suggesting people commit to buying more hardware.

What i always found strange was getting asked in survey about the APP, and spanned each of the 6+ years I've had service, about ability to watch DVR programs. Hard to imagine the technology is limiting. And certainly with fiber service becoming more prevalent with symmetrical speeds, transmitting an HD stream should be no problem.

If you have a chance to play with Xfinity offering, you will find it to be quite competent. But uverse tv offered programming is still superior.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I had comcrap in the 90's.  I thought there were a few extra channels on uverse that made it worth while so I switched (but still kept the comcrap cabling intact just in case).    These days I might consider it as an alternative if it were not for the fact that they do not support wireless receivers. 

I have 3 tvs.  Two could use the old coax exactly as I did in the 90's.  The third does not have coax reaching it and I am not about to install additional coax. So two of the tv's share my wireless receiver since those two are never used at the same time.   If comcrap had a wireless box I could play the "new customer promotions game" and switch back and forth every year. Man Wink

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

In the long run, I'm not sure these specialized boxes will survive.  If AT&T can deliver decent DVR functionality on DTVNow, I may give it another go. Just as one example.

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I am going to be away from my home for several months. Is there a way to access uverse programming remotely using a smart TV and my existing ATT account or do I need to just cancel and re establish service each time? I understand I will not have DVR functionality.

Since it is impossible to get anyone from ATT to respond I would love to hear what you folks have to say.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

@HoustonTraveler You have bumped a 2yo post and some info is not relevant at this time.

You can access programming with the Uverse app. You can schedule DVR recordings using the app.

The Uverse app is available for mobile platforms only.

(edited)

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.