Helpful Links

Help Me Understand The HDMI 5.1 DD Issue

Help Me Understand The HDMI 5.1 DD Issue

I have a Cisco IPN-4320 DVR connected to my tv with HDMI.  I have optical from the DVR to an Onkyo surround sound receiver.  Normally, I watch tv with the surround sound system turned off.  I get sound from the DVR to tv via HDMI.  When I want surround sound, I turn on the Onkyo receiver and get sound from the DVR to Onkyo via optical.  If I leave the Cisco DVR set on stereo, I get simulated surround sound, or I can change the DVR to surround sound and get 5.1.  I would prefer to just leave the DVR set on surround sound, but if the Onkyo is turned off, I don't get any sound from the DVR to the tv via the connected HDMI cable.  Why is that?  This is the exact same setup I used with Charter cable and it worked.  I did a search here and found threads where people are saying U-Verse now transmits 5.1 via HDMI.  Is that not correct or is there something about the way I have my DVR wired that is preventing this?  I'm confused on this issue.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 23

Re: Help Me Understand The HDMI 5.1 DD Issue

My tv is supposed to accept surround sound through HDMI.  I guess there is some sort of defect that's probably not worth fixing.  It's $89 for the guy to come diagnosis it.

Message 16 of 23
ACE - Expert

I looked through the manual - the only thing I could find is SRS - If I read it correctly the SRS accepts the 5.1 and simulates it on two speakers.

SRS is on/off by button on the remote or menu selection.

Did you try that?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 23

Yep, it makes no difference.  I basically tried everything.  The tv is pretty simple, actually.  As much as I hate to, I may try the component option with splitters to share the signal with my Slingbox.  I would only need 3 splitters since the Cisco DVR has two pairs of L/R audio jacks.  I already have a good set of audio cables, so I would need to purchase 3 video cables and 3 splitters.  Thanks for your help.

Message 18 of 23

What can I use to split the component video signal that won't degrade the picture quality significantly?  Where can I get them?  Maybe I should just bite the bullit and switch my Slingbox to S-video and keep the tv picture quality as good as possible.  Only problem here is I'm using my Slingbox S-video input for my Roku.  All of this just because I don't want to manually switch back and forth between stereo and surround sound on my U-Verse DVR.  I guess I could ditch the Roku feed since I can watch Netflix directly from their website and there is now a Netflix app for my Droid.

Message 19 of 23
ACE - Expert

You have options & you can decide what is best. I searched radio shack for the Y adapter & found a deluxe model. You should be able to find one less expensive. I have seen concerns about the quality of connection, but have not had a problem doing it. If it is bad you can return it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3909665
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 23

Thanks.  $15 for 3 adapters is no problem.  I'm really concerned that switching from HDMI to 1/2 a component video signal might be a significant degrade of the picture.  I know moving my Slingbox from component to S-video would be a hugh degrade.  I'll decide tomorrow if I feel like fooling with it and, if so, ride over to Radio Shack.  As you say, I can alway return them.  I think a high quality picture is probably more important than trying to eliminate the manual switching back and forth between stereo and surround sound.

Message 21 of 23

I just decided to go ahead and try component video.  I unplugged the component cables going to my Slingbox and plugged them into the tv.  The colors are way more vivid and the picture seems much better.  Also, as expected, I can leave the DVR set on surround sound with or without my receiver being on.  I guess tomorrow I will go to Radio Shack and pick up some splitters for the three component video cables and hook my Slingbox back up.  If that doesn't work, I'll try S-video to the Slingbox.

Message 22 of 23
Highlighted

Well, I'm back to the HDMI cable and manually switching between stereo and surround sound.  The component cables were great until I split the signal between my tv and Slingbox and the picture was unacceptable.  I'm not willing to switch my Slingbox to S-video, so I guess I'll just stick with this for now.

Tags (1)
Message 23 of 23
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app on your device.
It allows you to troubleshoot in the palm of your hand - quickly and easily!
You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support