DJHarris71's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2011 10:33 PM

Hard Drive Too Small - and - Another bone to pick about the Interface

I've got a question - or probably more so a comment (since I searched formus allready) - about hard drive space.  I have the VIP 1225 box, and only 8 series, and keep only 2 per.  these vary from 30 mins to an hour a piece.  I am constantly running our of hard drive space - specially when I decide to record something not in a series.  Is it just me, or is the hard drive way too small?  Is there a way to get a larger hard drive (legitimately) or get a USB drive?

To help this situation I have opted to record a few in standard defenition.  This is where I have a bone to pick with the UI (not my first - see my other post about Guide interface).  I swiitched from Dish Network, and if I chose to record something in SD, it was as easy as choosing this option in the recording preferences.  In order to record in SD on uVerse I had to UnHide the SD channel from the Guide (which I dislike so much) so that I could have the option to record from the SD channel.  Now, when I view the guide I have the SD channels on my list.

ATT please start making upgrades to this system - It is horrble.  I'd be more than happy to be in a test user group.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

The HD space is back.   Thanks for the help.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

You're welcome.  You should now have about 5x more recordable space on your DVR.

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Actually it is more around 280 hours for SD, and 108 hours for HD.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
Actually it is more around 280 hours for SD, and 108 hours for HD.

It depends on whether you have the Cisco or the Motorola DVR.  The large Cisco DVR has a 320 GB hard drive and can hold more recordings.  The large Motorol DVR, which the OP has, has a 250 GB hard drive and holds approximately 219 SD hours or 80 HD hours.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

texasguy37 I came here trying to figure out why the heck our Motorola DVR filled up so quickly (actually it was showing slighlty under half free even with no recordings)

UVReatime confirmed what I saw in an earlier post, the HD was showing up as 40GB, an okay+down reset seems to have fixed it, too bad this unit only seems to have ~120GB usable 🙂

Any idea why this happens, and why it isn't fixed automatically (I'm an embedded software dev so I'm just curious)

Thanks again!

-Spencer

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Not sure why it happens.  I can only say that I have seen that issue reported before, and the disaster recovery steps will fix it.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I'm having the same issue with the Motorola VIP1216.  I'm only getting 36 hours SD and 13 hours HD.  I tried the 'unplug/press okay&down/replug' thing to no avail.  Is there a way I can get my full storage?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, please read through the messages in this thread.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I've been reading the messages in this thread.  I went and downloaded the uverse realtime software.  I ran the program and went to the channels/stream tab and saw similar results to that of the original poster. (I was showing  34.4 GB of available space).  Then I did a dvr disaster recovery using your instructions.  This didn't change my storage space.  All of my past recordings were lost. 

I'm not sure what you mean by seeing 'gears'.  If that refers to the arrow in the bottom corner going around in circles, then yes, I saw gears.  Still, I did the disaster recovery multiple times to no effect. 

At this point I don't what to do.  What would you suggest, Tex? 

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I just solved my own problem.  I was able to get what was unquestionably a gear on my screen.  The problem was that I wasn't holding down the okay and down arrows long enough after I replugged in the DVR.  Anyone else reading this thread and about to do a disaster recovery should keep those two buttons depressed for about five seconds before letting go. 

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I really thought this was going to be a lot more of an ordeal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.