DJHarris71's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2011 10:33 PM

Hard Drive Too Small - and - Another bone to pick about the Interface

I've got a question - or probably more so a comment (since I searched formus allready) - about hard drive space.  I have the VIP 1225 box, and only 8 series, and keep only 2 per.  these vary from 30 mins to an hour a piece.  I am constantly running our of hard drive space - specially when I decide to record something not in a series.  Is it just me, or is the hard drive way too small?  Is there a way to get a larger hard drive (legitimately) or get a USB drive?

To help this situation I have opted to record a few in standard defenition.  This is where I have a bone to pick with the UI (not my first - see my other post about Guide interface).  I swiitched from Dish Network, and if I chose to record something in SD, it was as easy as choosing this option in the recording preferences.  In order to record in SD on uVerse I had to UnHide the SD channel from the Guide (which I dislike so much) so that I could have the option to record from the SD channel.  Now, when I view the guide I have the SD channels on my list.

ATT please start making upgrades to this system - It is horrble.  I'd be more than happy to be in a test user group.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@DJHarris71 wrote:

Here is the screen shot

ChannelsStreams-2011-09-19-19-32-25.png

As I suspected, all of your recordable space on the DVR is not available.  The Total Space amount should be 207.2 GB instead of 40.8 GB.

I would suggest that you perform a disaster recovery to reclaim the full recording capacity of your DVR:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Hold down the OK and Down Arrow buttons

3. While still holding down the buttons, plug the DVR back in.

4. Release the buttons

The gears, not the 3 dots, will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.  If the gears do not appear, a disaster recovery process has not been initiated.  Please repeat the steps until you see the gears.

Please note that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

1 Attachment

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

The SD channels are below 1000.  It's not that hard to view channels above 1000 in the guide.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

DJHarris71 - Are you saying you are running out of space at 20 shows? I have seen posts of people getting a new DVR and having essentially no space. They had to do a hard reboot to get the space back.

Have you looked at the graph of space available?

I currently have 60 recordings - 50% space up to 108 hours SD or 39 hours HD remaining - according to the graph.

I have had many more shows than this. Seems like you need to do a hard reboot - You will lose the recordings you have. Maybe you need a new DVR.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@DJHarris71 wrote:

I've got a question - or probably more so a comment (since I searched formus allready) - about hard drive space.  I have the VIP 1225 box, and only 8 series, and keep only 2 per.  these vary from 30 mins to an hour a piece.  I am constantly running our of hard drive space - specially when I decide to record something not in a series.  Is it just me, or is the hard drive way too small?  Is there a way to get a larger hard drive (legitimately) or get a USB drive?

If your DVR is maxing out at 16 hours of HD (8 x 1 x 2), you definitely have an issue.  The Motorola VIP1225 holds approximately 80 hours of HD or 219 hours of SD recordings (Recorded TV --> Recording space).

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tab: Channels/Stream

If the screenshots shows what I suspect, I will tell you how to reclaim all of the recordable space on the DVR.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

@jimfitzgerald:  {Please keep it courteous}  I never said they were hard to view,  I'd rather not view them (in my guide) at all.  but in order to record SD - i do have to view them (in my guide).

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Here is the screen shot

ChannelsStreams-2011-09-19-19-32-25.png

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

That's funny.  my box is a disaster.  I'd agree..  While I am doing this.  perhaps you can tell me any other info about my setup from these screen shots.

ErrorTable-2011-09-19-19-40-21.pngBitloading-2011-09-19-19-40-30.png

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

I don't see any obvious issues from those 2 screenshots.  Are you having any other issues with your system?

You might also want to post the IP/Profile tab.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Yes I am.

Sometimes dvr content is pexelated and choppy - seems worse on the secondary unit.

Even though this is not a dish type system - it still goes out in a heavy storm

the unit freezes up on occasion.

below is the IP/Profile screen shot:

Stats-2011-09-19-20-08-39.png

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

You should not be losing signals during heavy storms unless the electricity goes off at your residence.  The pixilated/choppy DR recordings could be indicative of some type of line issue.

After you do the disaster recovery process, you might want to call Technical Support at the number shown is my signature to have them runs some tests on your line.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.