chris92071's profile

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 1:02 PM

Happy with U-verse; not happy with wireless receivers and hideious phone computer

Hi, moved over from cable to U-verse. I am very happy when the service works. Picture quality is great, and the whole house DVR an added bonus. I have one "problem" child on the wireless remote. I am on the third replacement in the main area and the symptoms are the same: Watch for a couple hours: solid Then the picture will start to flash black-TV picture-black then eventual solid black. Reboot, start over ... couple of hours: solid (repeat). I have a wireless remote in my bedroom: rock solid. The problem child has no RF interference: no microwave, no cordless phone, RG is in the next room. The wireless transceiver is in plain sight and about 20 feet (no walls -- clear path). Yet, this issue remains. Call 1.800.ATT.2020 and put up with that pathetic, hideous, and painful interface that adds insult to injury that I can look on line. Once AT&T techs come on -- again, great customer service. That computer is a PO S and should be an easier interface to talk with a live human being. As I wrote, I really am impressed when the system works. However, baseball season starts next week. I don't want to have a reboot, nor do I want to reboot prior to a game. Is/are there "hard-wired" receivers? I have asked for them in the past and everything has been replaced: RG, wireless receivers, gateway ... Technician is coming tonight. If this does not solve the issue, I must abandoned and go to either satellite or (gasp) cable. while this is more of a rant; suggestions welcome.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

Tech spent last two hours here. Troubleshooted and realized wrong power adapter on DVR. It had enough of a drop, I am told, that could have effected whole house DVR. Stay tuned. Really happy with customer support; not liking the computer interface when calling

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

How is the wireless receiver connected to your TV?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@chris92071 wrote:

Hi, moved over from cable to U-verse. I am very happy when the service works. Picture quality is great, and the whole house DVR an added bonus. I have one "problem" child on the wireless remote. I am on the third replacement in the main area and the symptoms are the same: Watch for a couple hours: solid Then the picture will start to flash black-TV picture-black then eventual solid black. Reboot, start over ... couple of hours: solid (repeat). I have a wireless remote in my bedroom: rock solid. The problem child has no RF interference: no microwave, no cordless phone, RG is in the next room. The wireless transceiver is in plain sight and about 20 feet (no walls -- clear path). Yet, this issue remains. Call 1.800.ATT.2020 and put up with that pathetic, hideous, and painful interface that adds insult to injury that I can look on line. Once AT&T techs come on -- again, great customer service. That computer is a PO S and should be an easier interface to talk with a live human being. As I wrote, I really am impressed when the system works. However, baseball season starts next week. I don't want to have a reboot, nor do I want to reboot prior to a game. Is/are there "hard-wired" receivers? I have asked for them in the past and everything has been replaced: RG, wireless receivers, gateway ... Technician is coming tonight. If this does not solve the issue, I must abandoned and go to either satellite or (gasp) cable. while this is more of a rant; suggestions welcome.

Yes there are "hardwired" receivers (STB). They are fed by either COAX(cable) or CAT5(ethernet) from the RG. They are probably shortcutting a lot of installations now that they have these wireless STBs because they don't have to run any wires.

You can check the back of the wireless STB, if it has an Ethernet or COAX connection you might be able to hardwire it yourself temporarily to see if the problem goes away. If it does solve the problem, then you can make the wiring permanent (route the wire through basement or attic, tuck down between baseboard and carpet, etc.) as well as getting the wireless STB swapped out for a standard STB, which should reduce the equipment rental fee by a few bucks a month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

HDMI. I have checked the HDMI cable and it's good. Tested it on a blue-ray player, solid through Netflix and Amazon Prime. Never lost a signal.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

There is COAX available from the cable days. Yes, I understand AT&T doesn't want to run wires; but I as a customer the three (and today will be the fourth) visits to the house, it would have been less expensive to run or use existing cable. I can run an ethernet to the box, too.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Ask the tech to hard wire it since you have so many issues?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@chris92071 wrote:
HDMI. I have checked the HDMI cable and it's good. Tested it on a blue-ray player, solid through Netflix and Amazon Prime. Never lost a signal.

Can you try replacing the HDMI cable with component cables to see if the disconnection issue continues?

Also, what brand of TV is the wireless receiver connected to?

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

Hi Texas Guy, I can do composite as requested. The technician wil be over this afternoon at 4 p.m. Pacific.

I have a Samsung 43" 1080p plasma TV 450.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

BeeBeeSA asked: ~Ask the tech to hard wire it since you have so many issues?~

I have been since the install in February! I have requested it to be "hard wired" but was told the wireless is the best option. The wireless in my bedroom has been flawless. While that points to RF interference, there is "nothing" that can cause interference around the receiver: no microwave, cordless phone, the RG, nor neighbor's house. I am on a big lot and next door is about 75 foot to the house.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@chris92071 wrote:

Hi Texas Guy, I can do composite as requested. The technician wil be over this afternoon at 4 p.m. Pacific.

I have a Samsung 43" 1080p plasma TV 450.

If that is an HDTV, you will want to do component  cables (red, green, blue) as opposed to composite (red, white, yellow).  The component cables will transmit an HD picture.  The composite cables will not.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.