HDMI video range - Black Crush

Contributor

HDMI video range - Black Crush

[ Edited ]

Hopefully somone can help me out here. This black crush issue is driving me crazy. After much research it seems as if the Cisco isb7500 and 7005 boxes send out RGB 0-235 instead of the standard RGB 16-235. Why in the world would they design it like this?

Any how, I have an Epson 5020 projector in the basement with hdmi in the wall so running the component cables is out of the question. I can change the range on the projector to extended but it throws off all the colors and disables certain features. 

Is there any way to get these boxes to broadcast the 16-235 range through HDMI like every other cable provider does? It has been extremely frustrating since switching from TWC to get a decent picture.

Message 1 of 30 (3,217 Views)
Mentor

Re: HDMI video range - Black Crush

This is an old thread, but I ran into this issue today with a new TV I just bought and an ISB 7500.  The picture was great except for the super dark blacks with no definition.  aka, "crushed"

The TV, a Samsung plasma, does have a setting to change the HDMI RGB range and changing that allowed for a much more balanced picture, but now that change impacts everything coming out of my AV receiver since I use it for HDMI switching and just run a single cable to my TV.

So I'd definitely like to see it fixed.  

Thanks.

A

Message 16 of 30 (2,364 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I was "upgraded" to the VIP 2250 due to issues with my old DVR.  Ever since the upgrade the HDMI picture quality has been abismal.  I have had it replaced once and it is no better.  There are no details in any dark areas on screen.  When I watch House of Lies Don Cheadle has only half of a face (the half in shadow just disappears).  I am getting the run around from customer support.  If there is not a fix for this soon I will be dropping my uVerse service...

Have there been any updates from AT&T regarding a firmware upgrade?

Message 17 of 30 (2,152 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

The software is windows CE, Media room, which was purchased last September (2013) from Microsoft by Ericsson.
Would expect some software release in second quarter of this year, but what will be changed is not public knowledge.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 30 (2,140 Views)

I appreciate the reply, though I am not sure I understand the relevance.  I have the Motorola VIP 2250.  At this point I am considering dropping AT&T and moving to Direct TV.  I consider Comcast to be the worst provider on the market, so I am lefting having to move to satellite.  Either that, or I will buy a Tivo DVR.  No inexpensive choices. =(

Message 19 of 30 (2,117 Views)
ACE - Expert

mmcdermand - Re: Either that, or I will buy a Tivo DVR - You realize you cannot connect the TIVO to the U-verse input signal - only the output of the STB/DVR & you would need to have the TIVO control the STB for timed recordings.

Is there any way to adjust the TV to compensate for the black crush? Does it appear on component connection??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 30 (2,114 Views)
Mentor

That's what I was just typing up.  Two choices right now:

1.  Use component since this is an HDMI issue

2.  Change your TVs HDMI Black Level (or similar setting) to compensate.  Works for me.

Good luck.

A

Message 21 of 30 (2,114 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.  Black levels on the plasma are already cranked, along with gamma.  My HDMI cables are all run through the wall before flush mounting the TV.  Really do not want to pull it off the wall at this point to run component cables if I can avoid it...

Message 22 of 30 (2,110 Views)
Mentor

I'm actually talking about a setting totally separate from gamma/contrast/brightness.  On both my Samsung and Panasonic plasmas there's an HDMI Black Level setting (or something close) that's basically either "High" or "Low".   Or maybe "Low" and "Normal".  

Switching that fixed it on both my sets.  

A

Message 23 of 30 (2,108 Views)
Mentor

I happen to stumble upon this thread, and have to say that this has saved me from taking a bat to my tv.  I have a Toshiba 55 inch LED.  Since the day I got it I just could not get the settings right for the picute. Tried everything, even a calabration disc.  

Well, just got a Samsung plasma, and same issue.  Then I see this post and decide to try hooking box to TV by component.  What a difference!!  I can make detail out in the dark parts and bright colors no longer look over saturated.  Wish AT&T would fix the issue so we could use HDMI and get a properly formatted picture,

Message 24 of 30 (2,045 Views)

I am getting ready to switch to component cables.  It is so frustrating that AT&T is unwilling to address the problem with the HDMI black crush.

Message 25 of 30 (1,915 Views)
Mentor

Anyone with TV2 client version: 2.4.29140.22 ? Is the hdmi still dark or corrected with the latest update?
Message 26 of 30 (1,705 Views)
ACE - Expert

shaee wrote:
Anyone with TV2 client version: 2.4.29140.22 ? Is the hdmi still dark or corrected with the latest update?

I fixed it w/a Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery, but next time the 2250 rebooted, it had the crushed black problem again. Smiley Mad

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 30 (1,691 Views)
Mentor

Which TV2 client version are you on? I tried the non destructive recovery, it appeared to fix it but it's back now.
Message 28 of 30 (1,676 Views)
ACE - Expert

I have not gotten the upgrade yet.  Currently my DVR can not connect to ATT servers and is giving me a red X. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 29 of 30 (1,673 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]
I may have fixed it, unplugged the dvr then unplugged the RG for 20 sec. Plugged back the RG, waited for the green lights then plugged back the Dvr. Colors are rich without the skin tones being affected negatively.

Still on the 2013 TV client firmware, fyi

Update: no it's not fixed, just watched a night club scene, totally dark.
Message 30 of 30 (1,609 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.