Denver_1's profile

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

Monday, October 8th, 2012 10:45 PM

HD fox news channel

We continue to have a problem with HD fox news channel just going blank.  When this happens, the only solution is to reboot.  I can be watching fox news channel on one tv or maybe another channel.  Then when I move to another tv, fox news channel doesn't have any sound or picture--totally black.  Only solution is to reboot.  We have 5 tvs so it's not any particular tv; it just seems to be that channel.  We've had that problem in the past with that channel and also HD fox business news channel.  We were told the main station in DeKalb, GA, was having the problem and it would be fixed.  Well, it lasted for several months and now it's started again.  We live in East Cobb, GA.  Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone have any solutions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

It's an issue with the programming inside the box itself. It does not tie into AT&T. Microsoft makes the software inside of those boxes and that is where the issue is.

Sometimes people report Fox news, sometimes NBC, sometimes CBS, but it could happen with any channel and is random across all boxes. I understand that you are leasing the equipment from AT&T but it's Microsoft who needs to fix the issue.

Scholar

• 

138 Messages

11 years ago

I've been having that problem for the past year.  Doing a reboot doesn't help either.  I just change the channel to the standard channel and then a few minutes later go back to the HD channel.

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

11 years ago

We've tried changing to standard fox channel and back and that doesn't work.  Only solution is to reboot, which causes problems when you are also recording another show.  Do you live in the metro Atlanta area with you having this problem, or is it just ATT Uverse fiber optic problems instead of having cable?.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Most cable providers use as much backbone fiber as U-verse does. There is an outage ticket dating back before March of 2012 (some people report it earlier) where Microsoft's software platform will cause an issue with a black screen on one channel randomly. The duration varies. You can record on this channel, a reboot should fix.

There is no known ETA released or other workaround besides wait the time, reboot, view the HD/SD counterpart, or view the recording of it

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

11 years ago

We had cable for years prior to U-verse and never had this problem.  Seems it mostly does Fox New Channel and Fox Business Channel.  This past week it has also been doing WPCH in Atlanta.  We normally do the reboot, which messes up any recording going on at that time.  But, we will try recording it when it's blank as you suggested.  We have several tvs; what we don't understand is why, for example, WPCH was blank on two of them and worked fine on the others.  Of course, this is an example; it is inconsistent on all of the tvs.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Right because it's not a networking issue and not an issue with the outside line, the RG, the VHO, it's simply an issue with the software on the individual STB's.

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

11 years ago

What? Please say this in layman's words for those of us who don't understand all this technology.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

While this answer(!) took several years as I have only had it just two months, my issue came about after starting to use a Fire TV device to watch TV-type live channels. Yes, I too was told by ATT-Uverse that they didn't block any streaming devices, yet I was, and even Amazon support could offer no answers. Fox generally replied 'dunno' as they apparently loaded down with the Fox Nation startup, ownership issues, etc. FINALLY an answer.

When I down-graded my ATT/UVserse service to bare-bones basic for the sake of the Internet, I was dropping FNC/FBC as well as the HD tier(?), a code was sent out to lock out the streaming service in many ways. When I went in today and changed my package to include Fox and HD service ($20 more!), All the locks on the Fox stuff went away Problem solved after being created by both Fox AND ATT/Verse. Times are moving faster, technology changing, and more dollars for changes are needed. Again, customers pay and beg for service!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.