For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ZZsloan's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, June 23rd, 2018 9:17 PM

Fiber optic DVR replacement

I was told my DVR unit would be replaced with one especially for fiber optic cable 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. I was told AT&T expected everyone to switch to Direct TV, so they didn't order enough replacement DVRs for higher-speed fiber-optic delivery.  Because there aren't enough new DVRs to meet demand, I understand techs are being sent out to attach customers to the new fiber optic lines WITHOUT new DVRs. So they have to tell you your existing DVR is going to be disconnected when they finish the fiber-optic link-up and you'll have to wait -- weeks or months -- to get the necessary new DVR. I can't see the advantage in this to me, so I told the tech to put me down as a reschedule. They can come back when they can make the switch to fiber-optic AND give me a new DVR at the same time. As it turns out, not ordering enough fiber-optic DVRs was a mistake. People actually like their Uverse service and don't want to switch to Direct TV.  I hope AT&T is correcting the deficiency in new DVR supply. Too often in the tech industry, customers are last on the priority list.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

How does a Customer tell if a DVR is Fiber Optic capable or just a standard cable DVR ?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

The att dvr's don't "care" how the original source signal is delivered since they only connect to the gateway (usually with ethernet).  If you have a fiber connection then the wall/street connection will plug into the ONT port on your gateway.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

@bnbnbn  et al, I would think support people at the 800 number should be able to ship the proper DVR once internet 1000 was provisioned. Not a big deal to swap the unit out yourself. 

I too like Uverse, but hardware is just not keeping pace (pun intended) with technology.  For instance, lack of support for HDMI CEC and ARC. But I suspect some new change will come along. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I had a guy come out and change my satelite to fiber optic and put in new DVRs in all my rooms. My bill went up to almost 500$ and the guy that came to fix it said there would be no change to my bill. 

He told my brother and I that direct tv was going to stop using satellite dishes because if bad service burning rain storms. Is this even true? And since it's a change the company made why was I charged for 3 of the 4 DVRs and a package I didnt ask for? 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Pris1985   Rather than post in the Uverse TV forum you might want to ask your question in the DirecTV forum

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thought I did. My apologies
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.