browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Friday, November 30th, 2012 5:56 PM

Ethernet port on the STB's

Is the ethernet port on the STB an inbound or outbound connection? Could I connect a blu ray player to the STB and get updates to the blu ray player? If it won't work, I would have to connect the blu ray player to the router, correct?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@browndk26 wrote:
Thanks. It won't be connected to the main DVR. It will be connected to one of the other STB's.

I'd say go for it. it's how I have 2 of my blu ray players and my PS3 connected to the home network.

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes you can connect your Blu Ray player to the STB and it will get updates.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. If I were to get a Networking AVR and connected it to an STB, would I be able to play music from my network over it?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, although using this port is not supported by AT&T.  I had a PC hooked up to a STB in my spare bedroom and could play music from my laptop, my wifes laptop, and the PC. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. That will save me from running an ethernet cable from the router to my home theater system (if I ever get a new AVR).

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

No problem......Come back if you have any additional questions or issues.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@browndk26 wrote:

Thanks. That will save me from running an ethernet cable from the router to my home theater system (if I ever get a new AVR).

I'd like to add a caveat: The two ports on the STB (COAX and RJ45) are bridged. If you plug in a high-traffic device (like another switch with another half dozen hosts), you will likely see degradation of the video, and possible audio too.

If you see / hear issues on ANY TV / host in the house, your first diagnostic action should be to disconnect that extra stuff from the back of any and all STBs. All of that traffic is propagated to every set on the coax.

Guru

• 

778 Messages

11 years ago

I also would like to add a cautionary note.  If you have a device plugged into the Ethernet port, you will get a network error message if the box is power cycled.  You would have to unplug the device from the port, reboot the receiver, then plug it back in.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for that information.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

One more caveat:  Plugging a wireless access point or router into the RJ45 port on the back of an STB/DVR is a really, really bad idea.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.