initial515's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, May 1st, 2014 1:41 AM

Disable Press Ok To Watch

Hello,

I am new to the att u-verse, and i am curious is here a way to disable this menu, i find it whoever decide that menu should get seriously fired. Why would i power on my tv just to be ask if i wanna watch tv? like how does that make any sense there not even a logic behind it.

People tell me to just switch to TV and when im done watching to just turn the tv off leaving the box on, which i have done but my box automatically turns off after some point in the day. Now it not the fact that it just 1 menu, i watch the same channel everyday and the probability of me changing to a different channel is close to .01%

The provider which i had before is TWC is was pretty much turn on and done, i switch to ATT cause it was cheaper. I mean unless ATT is trying to tell us "well you get what you pay for". My grandpa is like 89 years old and for 40 years with twc all he had to do is push power and bam he on his channel. Switching to ATT is constantly nag me about what the stupid menu "Press Ok to watch tv". He even says there is no logic behind having a screen that ask to watch tv when obviously i hit power on the remote to watch tv.

He old and has no idea what he doing 99% of the time, He just wanna watch tv, everytime that menu comes up he think the tv down or something and doesnt even bother watching which is a waste of money.

People pay for the service to use the service. 

So i am suggesting 3 option which i know ATT doesn't probably give a rats butt about us.

1: Allow us to leave the box on 24/7

2: Get Rid of the "Press Ok to watch TV" 

or 

3: Leave the stupid screensaver up but have it automatically closed after 3 sec

I wanna know if the CEO of ATT ever wonder why he or she is told to watch tv press ok, when technically speaking if someone picks up a remote especially the remote for the cable box to turn it on they obvously wanna watch tv. It would make more sense if the tv was turned on by the TV remote not by the u-verse box and it was asked that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you.  That's very helpful. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have to provide current customer feedback/dissatisfaction with this annoying feature. The screensaver comes on in less than 3 hours!! I, too, leave my TV on for my dog. It keeps him calm while I'm at work. I come home after only 6 hours, and he's stressed and crying, because there is dead silence. He's grown up from a puppy (14 yrs old) with the calming sound of the TV. Fix this problem AT&T. It is not right to expect your customers to have to fix it.

TWC never had issues with syncing between TV & STB. Why is this a challenge for AT&T? Why does AT&T feel the customer should go in with crazy combos of button pressing & codes to sync? Why is AT&T not accepting accountability for poor service and fixing it on their end? Why has this "feature" not been made an option?

It is now 2017, and this has most definitely NOT been resolved, as indicated. Obviously, the customers are NOT satisfied or happy. Come on AT&T! Get with the program take out this "feature" by resolving YOUR sync issues; not the customer's sync issues.

The ball remains in AT&T's court.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

TWC's set tops always broadcast content, they don't have a standby mode.  This means that they're always consuming power decoding streams, etc. In order to reduce network and power consumption, AT&T boxes go an offline state after 8 hours when actively broadcasting content.  Additionally, they go into a screen saver state after a few minutes if paused or on a menu (looks the same on the screen, but the internal receiver state is different).

Because TWC set tops don't have a standby mode, they can't get out of sync with the TV.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the explanation; it tells me you know the cause of the issue. Now we, your customers, are waiting for a fix to this issue.

I should be the only one who decides when to turn my TV off. Period. An outsider has no right to place my belongings on their chosen time schedule, especially an obviously erratic one at that! I have had the screensaver appear in 3 hours! You say 8. Moot. If I want to binge watch for 48 hours uninterrupted, that should be my choice.

Again, the ball remains in AT&T's court!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

I understand the situation that you view as a problem.  However, I am not, nor do I speak for, AT&T.  This system was designed by Microsoft as the "MediaRoom" system and as far as I know, every implementation works this same way.  Maybe Ericsson has changed it since they bought it, but I don't know.  It is likely that AT&T will be looking for a different system should they decide to even continue the terrestrially provided IPTV system (which many expect them not to.  I am actually among those that believe they will continue it in some form).

What kind of ball is this anyway?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Nothing in this string is answering my specific question....   I'm in the middle of watching a program and the stupid Press OK screen appears, causing me to miss part of a program until I press the OK button.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

6 years ago

This thread is heavily moderated.  Nothing useful here.  Move along.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I leave my tv on for the dogs when I'm at work and it never fails that when I come home, the "press to watch tv" button is up.. I understand after 8 hours it goes into sleep mode, it's just not very convenient for background noise for the dogs. It helps with the separation anxiety. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

What about just using a radio?  Remember those?  Or do your dogs have to "see" Oprah every day? Man Happy

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

Find a talk radio station.  Most dogs don't do a lot of watching and they would at least hear the sound of human voices.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.