For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
btbost's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 18th, 2014 9:41 PM

Did you know that your DVR box is an energy hog?

Power Hogs of Home Entertainment 

Interesting article and eye-opening! Satellite boxes use about as much energy when they’re turned off.

I particularly noted this passage:

Energy experts say the boxes could be just as efficient as smartphones, laptop computers or other electronic devices that use a fraction of the power thanks to microprocessors and other technology that conserves electricity. Ideally, they say, these boxes could be put into a deep sleep mode when turned off, cutting consumption to a few watts. At that rate, a box could cost less than $1 a month for power, depending on how much it is used.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Fortunately, the U-Verse boxes use far less than the typical cable and satellite boxes.

A U-Verse STB (non-DVR unit) draws about 9 watts, whether on or on standby. The DVR draws a bit more, about 18 watts on or standby if the hard drive is spinning (i.e. recording or playback), only about 11 watts if the hard drive goes to sleep.

Satellite boxes tend to draw a lot more power than cable or IPTV units because the satellite boxes have to send power up to the LNB on the front of the dish, and to any multiswitches that are in the signal path.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

Whutchagunnado?

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Of course a one post wonder started this thread and never reappeared...........

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Unbelievable! I have started a quest to slay all the energy vampires around the home, and the entertainment centers are a huge part, as seen in the linked articles here.

The pitiful thing is that it takes 2-3 minutes to reinitialize the DirecTV DVR after being unplugged (actually on a smart plug that is turned off).

Considering that we really only turn DirectTv on for football, there is a huge potential for wasted energy.

What's more, the STB - secondary boxes - will not contact to satellite if the main box is unplugged.

Come on, guys - I'm not a greenie, but I do believe that waste has never been good. Come up with a better way for these devices to be more energy responsible when we aren't using them!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

15446794164545116370077610923273.jpg

What a joke 🙄

Sorry AT&T, I'm not leaving these plugged in anymore.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

If that a dvr, fine, leave it unplugged if you want.  Of course when you want to use it you'll have to wait for the boot up sequence to complete and, oh, more importantly, be careful not to schedule anything to record during the time you keep it unplugged!  Receivers of course all you need to do is wait for the reboot and required the recordings list from the dvr which you also must have plugged back in and rebooted before those receivers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.