domino82's profile

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 2:26 AM

DVR stuttering nightmare

I'm extremely frustrated with my U-Verse service and desperately need to vent.

For the past months, I've been having severe stuttering/freezing while playing back recorded programs. This occurs on all TVs in my house. Live TV, On Demand, Internet and Voice all work fine. However, this totally ruins my TV experience because I only watch recorded shows, never Live TV and rarely On Demand.

Last week after I finally decided it couldn't possibly be a temporary issue, I called support. I got the automated voice saying how busy they were which walked me through restarting the system. This did not fix my problem. Not wanting to waste more time with an automated voice support system, I tried chat support.

The chat support rep was quite helpful although extremely slow, and over the course of an hour he had me do a factory reset of my DVR box and when that didn't fix the issue, ordered me a replacement. The replacement arrived a couple of days ago (the setup of which was NOT plug and play, I might add) and several resets later now that it's actually able to record, I'm once again having stuttering and freezing.

I'm beyond ticked off right now, and if I didn't hate Comcast even worse and had another option, I'd drop AT&T immediately. The truth is, though, until this stuttering started I loved U-Verse aside from the button lag.

Any suggestions from techs or someone who has been through this? Is there a direct phone number to speak with a human being? Can a local AT&T store set up a tech home visit for me? I want this fixed yesterday, and the last thing I want to do after a long day at work is spend hours on the phone doing the same idiotic troubleshooting algorithm for the third time.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

alans68 - Swapping the STB and DVR could very well solve your problem. A slight fault anywhere in the COAX/HPNA network can cause problems that first show up in recordings on non-DVR boxes.

You say the RG is connected to the wall by COAX. IS there any other connection to the wall that could go back to the NID. If no- The COAX is used bi-directional. The NID feeds the RG & the RG feeds thee rest of the TVs/STBs by that COAX. To make this work a diplexer - a splitter like device with three connections s used.
Your problem could be caused by any of the connections being loose or not having compression fittings or a bad diplexer or splitter or a hidden barrel connector.
when I mentioned earlier about isolating the fault & connecting cat5 - You would have to replace the diplexer with a barrel connector to direct feed the RG (from the NID)

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Update:  Swapped the cat5 ethernet cable with a different one.  We've watched three recorded shows and encoundered only one brief freeze.  It was in the same spot so could have been a momentary glitch in the broadcast.  So far this looks solved.  Wil update if any more problems.  Thanks all for the advice!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  Tonight the stuttering si back and worse than ever.  I will try swapping locations and factory resetting STB and see what happens.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Can you remind me how to factory reset the RG?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I need someone who has information to get this resolved TODAY to please offer assistance.

It has been almost a full day since I sent the attached message to Support as instructed here in the tech docs I was led to after two days of pointless troubleshooting on my own since the support docs all say the same thing,and automated "troubleshooting" apps don't even report the correct info. All make it difficult to get to anyone who can actually help.  

My issue is the same as here, but not on dvr or recording. I have no recordings, have not recorded, and only have issue with TV

I need any techs or members who can offer direction and a telephone number, or who can invite someone with authority to pay attention to this to respond. The ball is in ATT court. I am not troubleshooting anythig else, they need to, for once take the initiative to please a very long time customer, and this needs to be remedied today. Thanks.

Private Messages copy.jpg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.