Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DVR recording list not showing on STB

DVR recording list not showing on STB

The following error is showing up when trying to watch DVR recordings on either of the two STBs (One in master bedroom, one in living room).  "The Recording is unavailable. Make sure the TV receiver and the DVR receiver are connected to the network".  I have the following configuration (all ethernet cabling is CAT6).  I have reset all the Uverse equipment by shutting everything and powering it up in order of RG, Router, Switch.  I then reset each STB.  Any idea on why the DVR list is not showing up?

Capture.PNG

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: DVR recording list not showing on STB

Nice drawing.  But where is the dvr connected in all that and are the two other receivers wired or wireless?  If wired where are they connected. And if wireless where's the WAP?

Ideally the dvr and a WAP should be connected to the 5268ac.  Also if the two receivers also if wired (oops, no more ports).  I'm still leery about connecting wired receivers through switches also carrying other stuff.  But I appear to be in the minority in that opinion.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9

ugh...I can't believe Ieft the Uverse stuff off. Smiley Happy

The STBs are wired and connected to each of the 8 gigaport switches.  The DVR is connected directly by wire to the Pace RG.

I updated the image in the original post.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
ACE - Expert

Even nicer drawing now! Man Wink  Can I assume the connection between the tv and their switches are there because each of those tv's are "smart" tv's with internet connections and you left the tv connection to their receivers out for simplicity?  Or did you just forget them?  Should have a line from tv to its receiver?  I'm anal about accuracy Man Surprised

ATT Receivers going through switches going through yet another switch through a router behind the gateway!  Did this setup ever work?

Do you have the freedom to try to rewire the two receivers so that they are directly connected to the two free ports in your gateway?

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9

Yes, all of my electronics in the picture are "smart" and connect to the network.  I only added the lines to represent the Cat6 connections between devices.  The STB boxes work great as far as TV and the program guide.  The only thing not working is the ability to see the DVR recordings on the STBs.  I used to have the STBs as wireless, but they would freeze sometimes and it was annoying.  No freezing now.  There is only one network port in the living room behind the entertainment center as I figured I would just use gigaport switches to expand.  The only option would be to bypass the 24 port switch and router and connect to the RG.  I would still have to have the switch down at the entertainment center.

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

The only option would be to bypass the 24 port switch and router and connect to the RG.

Do you mean take the two cat6 cables from the two 8-port switches and plug them into the gateway (disconnecting the 2nd router and 24-port switch)?  If so, it's certainly worth the experiment.

Message 6 of 9

Bypassing the router and 24 port switch, and connecting the STBs to the RG directly, worked.  The STBs are still going through the 8 port switches.  My guess is that the router interfering with the DVR somehow.  I can now see and select my previous recordings from my STBs.  Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

I'm glad you got it working.  You confirm what others have said that you actually can pass a ATT tv receiver connection through a switch.  I've always been a little skeptical at least to the extent of what happens to the multi-cast IPTV tv reception when the switch is also busy handling other actively connected devices at the same time?  Can the switch handle the load with no problems? I guess in your case time will tell.

Out of curiosity another experiment, just for the sake of completeness, would be to put the 24 port switch back in (but not the 2nd router).  Just wondering how far you can push this idea of passing the tv signals through multiple switches.  I'm only suggesting this as a pure experiment, not your final setup which doesn't use that 24 port switch any more.

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

The forwarding rate of most gigabit switches is enough to keep up with the Multicast (and there's not all that much bandwidth to deal with).

However, most consumer routers do not support IGMPv3 properly and just in general make a mess out of multicast.

In summary, for networking devices between the Gateway and the IPTV endpoint:  (fast) Layer 2 devices good, Layer 3 devices bad.

I'll add one quick footnote: Wireless Access Points and Wireless Routers are especially bad at handling multicast.  You cannot even put one of these on the same switch as an IPTV endpoint without negative impacts, whereas a traditional router could be connected to the same switch (as long as the traffic to the IPTV gear doesn't transit the router).

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support