kbathsinc's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Monday, January 21st, 2013 4:28 AM

DVR not extending time if the show is going longer?

From the ATT website: "Automatically extend the recording time at the beginning and end of your programs you get more of what you want to see."

Is that actually possible? How can I set that up?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

The Academy Awards is the MOST UNPREDICTABLE programming there is out there...well along with the Super Bowl.

Wise up...add an hour for something like that.

Someone tell me:  Is there any provider that has a magic DVR that knows when a program is going to run over the scheduled time and by how much?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I get that you can manually add time to a recording or even a series but they advertize on several websites, as I quoted: "Automatically extend the recording time at the beginning and end of your programs you get more of what you want to see." I guess not.

Scholar

• 

373 Messages

11 years ago

I believe the automatic extension the website is refering to is the soft padding the DVR adds to the beginning and ending of a show automatically (if it does not cause a conflict).  One minute is added the beginning of a recording, and three minutes is added to the end.

Anyother modifications you would like to make to add time to the end are manual.  

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, I don't know of any programming distributor that can intelligently figure that out. TiVo, I believe, very occasionally has stepped in for very mass-market events and at least sent out alert messages to subscribers that something like the Superbowl or Oscars have bad guide data, but nobody does this automatically for day-to-day live events.  I think the "automatic" refers to the ability to set up your series recording to always record extra time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Tonight we lost the last and climactic minutes of the Academy Awards because of the inflexibility of this DVR system. Not the first time this sort of thing has happened, and it's really annoying to say the least. Maybe it's naive of me to think that it shouldn't be such a complicated programming issue to automatically extend recording when a major event is so unpredictable in its running time. I realize now that as long as I'm subscribed to Uverse I'll have to forsee these situations myself and set the DVR to record whatever follows this kind of event if I want to be sure to see the whole thing. But I'll also be on the lookout for a provider that has solved this problem and give serious consideration to switching to that company for my services. Are you listening, AT&T?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

Someone tell me:  Is there any provider that has a magic DVR that knows when a program is going to run over the scheduled time and by how much?

Nope, there is none.  Some DVR's do give you the option to set as a default the ability to extend by X number of minutes the end time of ANY live program.  When that default is set, it extends the end time by the number of minutes indicated and it is not based on when the event actually ends.  Thus, your default may or may not extend the end time by the length of time needed to capture the entire program.  With U-verse, you need to decide for each live program that you schedule whether or not you want to extend the end time and by how much.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

So when someone says they're leaving UV and finding a provider that does that automatically, they're S O L?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

You got it.  There is no DVR that detects that a program is going past it's scheduled end time and extends the recording to end at the exact time that the program actually ends.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, good luck finding any provider that will automatically add time to a recording when a program runs over. For sporting events I always add at least an hour and if I'm recording a show afterwards I'll do the same thing.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

We need to get Jim's U-Verse Index Corrections Department, right on reviewing all shows for overruns, lol.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.