For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Green Fleurdelis's profile

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

Sunday, February 28th, 2016 3:35 AM

Closed

DVR is randomly deleted recorded content. What is going on?

My DVR has been randomly deleting recordings. This issue is extremely frustrating. 

Sometimes I will go to Recordings, and there is nothing there (when previously there were 10s if not scores of recorded programs).

Sometimes I will simply be scrolling through the recordings and I will notice that ones I just looked at (not viewed) are no longer there.

Restarting the box does not help, either to restore recorded programs or to prevent the issue from recurring.

There are only two of us in the house and I can assure you that neither of us are accidentally deleting recorded content.

It is a relatively new DVR box (Pace, IPH8010), about 5-6 weeks since it was installed. The previous Motorola DVR box was swapped out because of this same problem. The support rep thought it was time to replace the old box.

However, that has not fixed the problem. Is anyone else reporting this vexing issue? 

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

HI,

We are sorry about the issues you are having with your DVR recordings, but we will be glad to help. It may be an issue with the online profile. You can manage your recordings online as well. Try changing your password to make sure that someone else is not managing your recordings. If still having problems, let us know, and we may need to setup a new profile.

-ATTU-verseCare

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

8 years ago

Uverse Customer Care:

My profile looks fine. I changed my password, though I'd be surprised if someone was hacking my DVR recordings to randomly delete recorded content.

The online view of my recordings is accurate; as well as my IOS app on my iPhone.

Because the box is new, doesn't it seem to point to a software issue? My system is 2.4.2971480.

As I search to eliminate causes, one thing might be pertinent: I use a Harmony universal remote to control all my devices, including the DVR and associated navigation. I hate you give you guys an external "bad guy" as the cause, but for full disclosure I mention it. Do you have any instances in your problem solving database that might point to this as a cause?

Community Support

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Green Fleurdelis,

Our goal is to look at all possibility's. By chance, is the DVR plugged into a surge protector or power strip? Those have been known to cause issues.

-ATTU-verseCare

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

8 years ago

Understood. Though I have to admit I chuckled at the idea of someone hacking my account just to drive me crazy by randomly deleting recorded programs.

Yes, my DVR is plugged into a surge protector. A fairly expensive one if I remember correctly. 

While I don't pretend to understand how a surge protector that is supposed to increase device stability actually reduces stability, I am open to ideas.

Is it generally recommended to plug the DVR directly into a wall outlet?

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

8 years ago

Sigh. It happened again. Overnight, my DVR deleted 6 recorded programs.

I have only been using the AT&T remote (not my Harmony).

I haven't yet had a chance to bypass the surge protector. I will do that tonight after the current recording stops.

Any other ideas?????

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

@Green Fleurdelis I’ve plugged it directly into the wall and that did not fix my problems. The issue is AT&T is horrific

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

With the recordings that are disappearing, is it removing older ones or just random ones? Also, are they ones where you have a lot of series recordings or just individual recordings? If it is a series recording, check your recording settings and see if you have it set to keep more episodes.

-ATTU-verseCare

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up.

It randomly deletes recordings. Both those that have been viewed as well as those already viewed but not manually deleted. (For fear that somehow the software was deleting recordings other than the ones I have viewed and wanted deleted, I have not been manually erasing episodes that I have watched. But after experiencing more random deletes without me doing any erasing, I have concluded that that is not the cause.)

Regarding series, it will delete recordings regardless of how many episodes are recorded. If it deletes a recording however, I believe it always deletes all those of the same series. I could be mistaken on this though. All my recordings are of series, rather than individual programs. All series settings are to keep until space is needed. And even when I wasn't losing content, I never rose above about 40% of available hard drive space. With this problem, I hardly have any disk space used at all.

Please keep the ideas coming. (My wife is pretty very upset that all the episodes of the final season of Downton Abbey have been lost. She wanted to binge watch after the final episode.)

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

We may need to replace the DVR. That would be a last option, because we do not want you to lose more recordings than you already have. One last thing to try maybe to setup your series recordings again. You can start with a few, but delete the old one you have setup and then schedule them again with the option until you delete them or increase the amount of series recordings to be held.

Also, you can try doing a non-destructive recovery by doing the following:

Unplug the receiver or DVR power cord from the wall or back of the box.
Wait 10 seconds.
Plug in the receiver and DVR.
When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver/DVR again.
Repeat this process two more times.
Plug the receiver/DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.
If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

@ATTU-verseCare I mean, have you read what you just wrote? If those steps really are a solution you think we should attempt, don’t you think AT&T is garbage? Seriously?

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

8 years ago

Please forgive my skepticism, but:

a) I just got the new DVR box because the old one was randomly deleting programs. Now the new one is doing the same thing.

b) I did the non-destructive recovery on the old DVR and it didn't fix the issue. I'll try this on the new box though anyway.

While tedious, I will try deleting series recordings and re-entering the current ones. Where this process hurts is for series that are currently not airing. One feature I love is that it'll pick up the next season even when I forget that new episodes are beginning. I will have to pay closer attention to the series I'm interested in recording when they restart.

At least it is something to try. Would it be best to do this on the DVR directly? Or online?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

I would do this on the DVR directly. Also, it may just be best to do a few of them that are currently airing, and if the problems disappear, then you can go through a few at a time, until you have it all done.

-ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.