For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
USSWaddell's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, September 29th, 2012 12:13 PM

DVR Does Not Come Up Without Internet Connection

Knowing that U-Verse does not allow me to copy off recorded shows to my laptop and the website does not have recently aired shows, I decided to bring my DVR down here to the lake to watch shows I recorded last week over the weekend.  I have done with with both my old Cox DVR and Tivo DVR......but not AT&T U-Verse.  The screen just sits there with the blue AT&T U-Verse boot screen and the spinning circle in the lower right screen.  I am not saying that  would expect the TV broadcast services to work over a different ISP (although it would be great if they would), but I certainly would expect it to work as a DVR to watch previously recorded shows.  Has anyone else tried this?  Did you get the same result as me?  I would think it would just boot, give an error that Internet was not available (as they have probably restricted the device to a certain IP segment/address) but still let me navigate the menu.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

ScottMac,

Yes, I can play videos from Hulu just fine.

This is what I get when I try to play a video:

I assume that the big blank area in the middle is where the video is supposed to play, but nothing ever comes up there.

Sometimes when I see this type of behavior (where certain elements on a page don't load), it can be attributed to AdBlock Plus or Ghostery in FireFox, but I have also tried in Internet Explorer (where I have no plugins or addons) and I get the same thing.

I get this behavor on any computer, and on both my home and work connections.  In fact, right now I'm in a hotel and I'm getting the same thing.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the info,

I'll poke around and see if it's a known issue and if so, whether there's something in the works. I was talking to a friend last night and he says he has the same symptoms.

This is the first I've heard of it.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

ScottMac,

Yes, I can play videos from Hulu just fine.

This is what I get when I try to play a video:

I assume that the big blank area in the middle is where the video is supposed to play, but nothing ever comes up there.

Sometimes when I see this type of behavior (where certain elements on a page don't load), it can be attributed to AdBlock Plus or Ghostery in FireFox, but I have also tried in Internet Explorer (where I have no plugins or addons) and I get the same thing.

I get this behavor on any computer, and on both my home and work connections.  In fact, right now I'm in a hotel and I'm getting the same thing.

I;ve checked around, and I'm still waiting for some folks to check it out and get back to me.

I played with it some in the Lab, and at home, in both places on a variety of platforms (PCs and Laptops) and OS, it's worked every time for movies, TV, "regular" channels (Food, Tru, Discovery,,) and priemier..

The only difference I can see between myself and my friend that has the same issue as you describe, is that he has U-200 (me & the Lab accounts are U400/450).

I tried it logged in,  and not logged in (obviously with constrained content ...) - worked every time.

I hope to talk to some of the server folks to see if there's been any issues with the systems that hold that content.

Since you're traveling and still seeing the problem, that rules out most VHO-likely problems (servers and intermediate active infrastructure).

Please check your Flash version and let me know when you get a chance.

The reason I asked about Hulu is that some of the content is server by Hulu, and usually if you can see content from Hulu, U-verse works.

I'll keep asking around.. Thanks again for the info.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

My flash version is 11.4.402.278 which is the latest. I tried a clean uninstall and reinstall of Flash in accordance with:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

I still have nothing.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
My flash version is 11.4.402.278 which is the latest. I tried a clean uninstall and reinstall of Flash in accordance with:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

I still have nothing.

Still no useful additional info, but I wanted to let you kow I'm still checking into it.

What is your subscription level (if you don't mind telling)?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

U200 + HD + HDPT.

Thanks for looking into it.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

12 years ago

Not sure what you were looking for but I'm finding mostly current episodes of many of the networks series out there.

One other suggestion for the OP, get a Roku device, it's portable and as long as you have wireless it will work.  Has Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon  Prime as well as many other channels you can add.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.