Tullavision's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 25th, 2017 1:59 AM

Connecting a free tv antenna to uverse tv box

I want to connect an antenna to my uverse receiver. Does anyone know how I search for free channels after I connect it?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

Who are you slinging insults at?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@Lexicon77 said:

All you succeeded in accomplishing was to aggravate and infuriate me because you have wasted my time by reading and now responding to you

I could care less about your so called time.  No one here asked you to butt into an 8-month old thread for your opinions.  The OP had a question which I interpreted on how to properly use an OTA antenna with a tv.  My reply addressed that specific question.  I don't know what you are reading into it.  Obviously you didn't "listen" to the question.  What did you want me to answer to "how to connect a antenna to a uverse box?"  Just say "no you can't" and be done with it, say no more, and not correct the intent?

If you have a different problem you should start you own thread and I'll do you a favor and not "waste" your time by trying to answer it.  That way I don't waste mine.  Sheesh Man Frustrated

@skeeterintexas - obviously I am taking this as this poster complaining about my reply/solution.  If I'm wrong then @Lexicon77 I apologize.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

So we tried both to the uverse and directly to TV. However, we cannot get the Vizo TV to show the input for the antenna. And it will not allow us to "scan" for channels since the Uverse seems to rule the TV. So "input" for the TV does not show antenna input nor scan. I do not want to have to disconnect from Uverse. Is there a work around?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@Queyja1 said:

However, we cannot get the Vizo TV to show the input for the antenna.

If there is no antenna input selection in the offered inputs then that would imply your tv doesn't have a RF (coax) connector in the back (or someplace).  If that's the case, a simple tv antenna hookup is not possible for you.  What model Vizio do you have?  It's easy enough to look at the user manual on the various hookup options and connector descriptions to quickly discover whether it has or doesn't have a RF connector.

I think some tv's are actually being manufactured these days like that (yuck!), i.e., catering to the current generation mind set spread by cable companies that they are the only way to receive tv.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Thanks for the info, This is great news. also will I be able to use my dvr to record things from the antenna? Or is that expecting too much?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

@mer327 wrote:

Thanks for the info, This is great news. also will I be able to use my dvr to record things from the antenna? Or is that expecting too much?

Recording to the DVR has to be through the Uverse box. 

So the answer to your first question is No.

The answer to your second question is Yes

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_ wrote:

If there is no antenna input selection in the offered inputs then that would imply your tv doesn't have a RF (coax) connector in the back (or someplace).  If that's the case, a simple tv antenna hookup is not possible for you.  What model Vizio do you have?  It's easy enough to look at the user manual on the various hookup options and connector descriptions to quickly discover whether it has or doesn't have a RF connector.

I think some tv's are actually being manufactured these days like that (yuck!), i.e., catering to the current generation mind set spread by cable companies that they are the only way to receive tv.

If your TV doesn't have a tuner, there are devices like the HD Home Run that will convert the OTA information to IP for you.  Software such as Plex Server (et al) can perform DVR functions for you.  Then you need something to run the Plex client (e.g. a Fire TV Stick) so that you can watch live TV from the HD Home Run via the Plex, or watch the recordings stored on the Plex Server.  HD Home Run also has DVR software (for a price), but the Plex DVR feature also costs money.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

i would go on satilite guys dot us and ask them i know for a fact both Dish and Directv have modules that you can hook your OTA antenna's that was one of the main reason i have dish right now!!!

• 

1 Message

Is there any Antenna that I can buy and watch free TV for a lifetime. I don't want to pay for my second TV. I'm planning to get a Hulu subscription or DirectTV as it has HBO included.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

Any over the air (OTA) antenna will provide free TV but only local OTA channels. You're not going to get any "cable" or premium channels.

Walmart, Target, Amazon has OTA antennas from $20 to $100+.

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.