Tullavision's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 25th, 2017 1:59 AM

Connecting a free tv antenna to uverse tv box

I want to connect an antenna to my uverse receiver. Does anyone know how I search for free channels after I connect it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Connect your antenna to your TV (its RF connector) not your uverse equipment.  After connecting switch the TV to the antenna input and use the TV's "scan" function (check its menus) to let it determine what channels it "sees".

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

6 years ago

@Lexicon77 The question was answered, there's no way to connect an antenna to a uverse STB, it would need to be connected to your TV

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

Check the owner's manual for direction in how to access the different outputs on the TV.  EVERY TV has settings for either antenna, HDMI, Composite, etc.  You just need to figure out how to get there.

And you don't hook an antenna up to the Uverse box.  Your UV box will be attached either component or HDMI.  Your antenna will have a different input.  Again, refer to your owner's manual.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am not sure that I fully understand, this is why I have requested a view of a schematic drawing of the process

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

@somethingnew

Where did you request a "schematic drawing"?  You are not even the original poster of this thread!

Here's sort of a "drawing":   Antenna -> rg6 coax --> TV  Man LOL  How is that any more clear than what was posted?

You're tv has (or should have) multiple input ports: hdmi (usually more than one), component, composite, and for this discussion the "ever popular" antenna.  Thus your tv needs to know where to take the signal from.  So your tv has a menu which you access with your tv's remote to allow input selection.  For the uverse box it would be set to the (usually hdmi) socket your dvr or receiver is connected to.  But you can select the antenna as input.

Once everything is set up you need to teach your tv what over-the-air channels it can receive and how to receive them.  That's the purpose of the "scan".  So there is a menu on your tv to perform this operation.  Once performed (i.e., once you tv knows how to look up the channels) you don't have to do this again but there is nothing preventing you from doing it and you may want to if you discover your antenna needs to point in some other direction.

After the scan is done your ready to enjoy the over the air tv signals.  Channel numbers in the form x.y (or x-y) where x and y are numbers.  The x is the channel number and the y is a sub-channel of x.  Any single channel (x) can one or more sub-channels. 

Use your tv's remote to select the channels and explore what you can receive.  You may need to play with pointing your antenna in a direction that receives the most channels or at least once that don't freeze or pixalate.  Use tvfool.com to help you with that and to see what's possible from your location.  Re-scan with each change in pointing you antenna to re-teach the tv what it can receive.

I how this helps because I don't know a way to make it any more simpler to describe.  But if you don't like my description and are still confused remember "google search is your friend".  For example search for "how to install a tv antenna" and you will get all the descriptions you could ever want.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Thanks for those directions. I now have channel 10 using a simple antennae, I bought on Amazon.  Now, is there a way to record shows on channel 10, since it does not run through the U Verse box?

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

6 years ago

No. The DVR will only record programing on U-verse. It's not designed to record over the air TV signals.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@1925ruby, @Audiojunkie:

Yes there are.  TiVo and Channel Master are just two I can think of off the top of my head that have over the OTA (over the air) dvr's.  If you google something like "ota dvr" you can find a lot of hits on this subject.  I just did and the first two hits had the following articles on some of the OTA dvr's you can buy.

The Best OTA DVR for your Antenna

Best DVRs of 2017 - CNET

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

6 years ago

I have an HDHomeRun device that has two tuners.  They offer a Guide and DVR service, or you can integrate it with PLEX.  There are small monthly fees for either service that includes the Guide/DVR functionality.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Did you READ the question????  “Connecting antenna to Uverse box”.

If you do not listen to to the question, how can you possibly answer the question?
You provided no help of any relevant sort. 
All you succeeded in accomplishing was to aggravate and infuriate me because you have wasted my time by reading and now responding to you

[Inappropriate content removed]

[Please keep it courteous]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.