Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thanks for all the info here.  After dealing with this for years I checked back and saw the solution posted here.   Last night, I called, jumped through support hoops, and a technician came out this morning.   He had never heard of the problem, but I put it on a Dolby 2 channel show and showed him.   I have an Onkyo TX-NR509, and it has a info screen where you can actually watch it flicker on the audio feed while the sound drops out.  After showing him that, he agreed to upgrade me to a Cisco ISB7500.  This completely fixed the problem and for the first time in years I actually have surround sound!

He did charge me a $50 fee for a DVR upgrade.   Although this is AT&T's fault for the equipment problem, I'm probably not even going to argue it.   For $50 I get increased disk capacity and more importantly, I have surround sound.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I also just received and hooked up my new VIP2250 U-Verse box, and my audio drop problem appears to finally be solved.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

I got a 2250 the other day I look forward to trying out the surround sound.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

VIP2250 fixed all my issues too with an Onkyo HT-RC360.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS SOLUTION!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have been a uverse subscriber for 2.5 years and experienced audio drop outs from day one. I obtained a Vip2250 about a month ago to resolve an issue unrelated to the audio drop outs. I have a Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver. I can say now with certainty the new DVR does NOT resolve the audio drop outs for me. No worse...no better!

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

I guess it is a good idea to add YRMV about the 2250s.  Bummer.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I convinced AT&T to replace my old VIP DVR with the VIP 2250 in an effort to solve the sound skips/dropouts. It did not change anything! But, it is nice to have a higher capacity disk.

My setup uses sends the 2250 HDMI signal to my Denon AVR-2112 and from there via HDMI to my LG 55LW5700 TV. The sound output on the 2250 is set to 5.1. The skips do stop if I use simple 2 channel output (which totally defeats the purpose of having a surround sound system).

The 2250 runs very hot - I measured the temperature with an IR thermometer on the underside at 127°F. Even off, this thing runs hot!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I've been experiencing similar issues to what's been described in this thread with my Onkyo HT-S3500 with audio dropouts on *some* U Verse stations and dvr recordings. When I change it to stereo mode the problem goes away, but obviously at the expense of surround sound. We only have two tv's and our other set (non-surround sound) has the VIP2250 box connected to it.

Could a solution to my issues be as simple as switching the boxes between our two tv's?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, it is certainly worth a try.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

I can confirm this as well.  I swapped out my VIP1225 for a VIP2250 and the audio dropout with DD 2.0 issues went away.

This is with an Onkyo NR-818

I should also note, it's a pain to get a 2250 at the moment.  CS does not have an option to ship you a 2250, they have an option to ship either a low or high capacity DVR.  A high capacity can get you a 1225 or a 2250 (or cisco box depending on your market).  You will need to explain your situation well to someone on the phone.  It took me 3 calls and nearly 3 hours of waiting while each rep tried their best.  Every CS was very helpful but they have their hands tied a bit in this situation.   When you ask for a specific model # their ordering software isn't setup to handle requests like this.

Best of luck to anyone trying to fix their drop out issues, I didn't have an issue until I changed receivers.  My VIP1225 worked fine with the Pioneer VSX-33 I had, but it started having drop outs when I changed to the Onkyo NR-818.  Luckily I found this post and stuck with it in tech support...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.