Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

I don't get it..  Maybe they have a bad run on some of the vip2250's, but mine has never locked up or rebooted.  I have ethernet from RG to DVR.  Stable as can be with HDMI to Onkyo to Sharp Aquos.

Maybe I'm lucky??

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

My VIP 2250 STILL drops audio AND reboots/freezes. Posted on another thread in the forum but still no fixes as far as I know...unless someone else has any advice.

CAT5 to main TV (2250 DVR) connected to TV via HDMI

Coax to other TVs (1200 series STB)

New black 2-Wire gateway.

All connections replaced and tested by techs.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

12 years ago

Installed the VIP2250 and it's solved my ss audio drops....only had it reboot once, but I'll live with that!   Technician told me I got the last 2250 in stock in Houston.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

I wish that were the case! Is it possible I have a uniquely bad 2250?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I have this sound skip/pause problem on the non-dvr boxes. Does the VIP2250 also solve the problem with these as well?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

It will not. The work around until the VIP2200 is available would be to use the optical digital output of your VIP1200 for your audio instead of the HDMI output.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

@ccwarren51 wrote:
I have this sound skip/pause problem on the non-dvr boxes. Does the VIP2250 also solve the problem with these as well?

No, the 1200 has different innards and your TV2 Client should be at 2.1.2295.10 (Menu > Options > System options).

You should be able to use HDMI without much or any issue with an updated VIP 1200, you may have issues using optical audio out with a 1200)

You might have problems with various other connections.

The replier above me is speculating about as yet unseen piece of hardware.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

My experience has been no audio dropouts with the VIP2250. Using HDMI audio with the VIP1200 I had audio dropouts and audio stutter. Using the Digital Optical audio output with the VIP1200 there were no audio dropouts or stutter. Your mileage may vary.

The VIP2200 is made by Motorola and is the non-DVR version of the VIP2250. Although AT&T has not yet offered the VIP2200 it uses the same chipset as the VIP2250 and should correct the audio dropout problem for some of us. Until AT&T decides to offer the VIP2200 as it's non-DVR set top box it is certainly worth trying to use the optical digital output on the VIP1200 and see if you get the same work around that I did.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

Called and requested the VIP 2250 to fix my audio dropout issue and also a pop noise when the audio changed from 5.1 to 2.0.  All is good with the new receiver.  No sound issues at all.  Finally after several years of suffering with audio dropout this is resolved.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

@ronaldgfisher wrote:

Called and requested the VIP 2250 to fix my audio dropout issue and also a pop noise when the audio changed from 5.1 to 2.0.  All is good with the new receiver.  No sound issues at all.  Finally after several years of suffering with audio dropout this is resolved.

Congratulations. Smiley Very Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.