Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

I also have a Motorola VIP 2250 connected to an HDTV using an HDMI cable.  It is not in an enclosed are, and I have not noticed any real overheating.  I also do not experience any periodic rebooting of the the box.

Scholar

• 

117 Messages

12 years ago

Mine doesn't reboot, but will just freeze instead which then requires a reset.  I can only think that once summer arrives, and folks with the VIP-2250 that don't have A/C are going to be experiencing a lot more issues.  My box 2250 does get pretty warm, even in the cool temps we're having right now.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I should clarify, mine doesn't reboot either, either freezes or everything just disappears, then have to restart it manually. I've done a factory restore, still happens.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I have a 2250. It still has a dropout. And now there is a three second audio delay when changing channels. AT&T SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS! No solutions despite hours on the phone with tech support.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

NO IT DOESN'T. STILL HAVING PROBLEM. I WISH I COULD SWITCH PROVIDERS.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

The three second delay (at least on my system) is the negotiation for surround sound between U-Verse and the home theater, and is completely normal.  As for the dropouts, I haven't experienced a single one since switching the vip2250, so not sure what's going on there.  Beyond the obvious stuff (different HDMI cable), you can try tweaking settings on your home theater system, or failing that, you may be able to run optical TOSlink surround sound and change the HDMI input to use that sound instead on your receiver.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

The VIP 2250 fixed my audio dropouts!! I still have the 2 second delay of sound while switching channels though but that's alright. I have a Onkyo NR-609 and I'm watching everything in 5.1. It was very easy for me to convince tech support to send me a new replacement for my VIP 1225. It's much more smaller and matches with all my other components that are black. However it gets warm VERY slightly. It's not very hot because it's in an open space, but it's definetely warmer than the VIP 1225. Hope this helps.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

sound drop offs have been cured with the new receiver but I swapped that for lock ups and reboots about once a day using HDMI...last night I swapped out for the RGB and separate (analog) audio...I'll see if this stops the lock ups...picture right now is quite a bit "redder" and the sound is louder (but may be because the red/white analog audio isn't surround...

Bill

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

mine is the Cisco ISB7500...

Bill

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

Traded the lock ups and reboots with HDMI for no digital sound and rgb... Bill
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.