Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Have you noticed any difference in operating the vip2250 with the remote control? The reason I ask is that for me the vip1225 seems to have a very narrow IR reception window. If the remote is not pointed almost exactly at the box, the correct IR command will not register. Sometimes it will randomly change channels and last night, it muted the box. It would be great if this problem has been fixed in the vip2250 as well.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

Well I wouldn't know that because I use a URC remote control with an IR blaster now.   But even before that, I never had the problem you are describing with the 1225 and the standard remote.  Sorry

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, for our household  it's better even with the standard silver remote. My recent Tech visitor related to me his experiences that the silver standard remotes will exhibit the same behavior.

The Silver remotes have a wide enough angle that in my living space with a new set of power cells it can turn on two boxes simultaneously in different rooms. I've also had it turn on the other unit while using other functions...

We've been given a black standard remote and the user experience is much improved.

Now these diagnostic questions belong over in the u-verse equipment - remote section of the board, but just to get you in a better direction to ameloirate or fix the problem you are having.

Does you VIP1225 box have TV2 Client version 2.1.2295.10 installed, because this update is supposed to have fixed the sluggish remote issues.

System information is here: Menu button options>system options , OK button

If it isn't the same version unplug your box, wait ten seconds and plug it in again, that should start an benign update process.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Remote-Controls/Beyond-frustrated-with-remote-control/m-p/2821405#M454

Does the initial post read almost exactly like your problem?

What type of remote are you using?

1) Do you have an HDTV with specials features like the Sharp Aquos, fluorescent lighting nearby?

2) you might try a piece of scotch tape over the IR receiver area to the right of the recording indicator. I'm not sure if it the matte or shiny kind a person is

3) new batteries

3) get a replacement black standard remote (Model S10-S1) or the point anywhere RF learning remote ($60?).

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

I can also confirm that the VIP 2250 completely eliminated dolby digital audio dropouts from my Onkyo TX SR707 receiver. We have two STB's in our home a VIP2250 and VIP1200. Originally, I had the VIP1200 attached to my Onkyo and it suffered the audio dropout  problem unless the Dolby Surround was switched off in the settings.  I switched the boxes and voila, the dropouts are 100% gone.

I know that the Onkyo AV receivers are notoriously sensitive to switches in dolby surround to stereo signals. When I had Directv service, I experienced constant clicking noises when the source switched from a Dolby Digital to a 2 channel stereo stream until an Onkyo firmware upgrade eliminated the clicks.

Now the only issue I have with the VIP 2250 is intermitent box lock ups that require a reboot. It's hard to troubleshoot because it is not a specific operation that causes it. I have made sure to completely elevate the box to help reduce heat. But hopefully this problem can be remedied with software updates. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I would also like to confirm that the vip2250 has corrected this issue. I have dealt with this issue after upgrading my Onkyo Receiver about a year ago.

With the vip1225, Digital Stereo channels would consistantly drop in and out and I would have to use the "Stereo" setting for these channels/recordings. Dolby Digital would take 2-3 seconds to "lock" on and turn back on after fast forwarding a dvr show or unpausing live tv. All of these issues are now corrected after upgrading from the 1225.

I have been waiting for a fix for a long time and earlier this week the sound was annoying me and I decided to Google for a fix again. I stumbled onto this thread and immediately called ATT Technical Support. After speaking with them for 30 minutes, they sent me the upgrade box for free with overnight shipping. Today, I can now confirm with all of you and I registered just to post this in hopes more people see this and fix this annoying problem.

I did experience a different issue after installing the new box ( http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers/VIP-2250-does-not-recognized-built-in-DVR/td-p/2988347 ) and recommend bookmarking this for when you receive your upgraded box.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

This is good that we now have at least 3 people who say the VIP2250 fixed their audio dropout problem. However, all of you have Onkyo AV receivers. I would like to see some other people who have audio dropout problems with other brands also post their findings.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

sitting here on the phone with AT&T service...technical service and now sales...the runaround...they are currently trying to find out if the Motorola VIP 2250 can be used in my area (suburbs of Chicago, il)...I currently have a Cisco receiver...man this is frustrating...AGAIN! (I have been calling off and on for 4 years with this issue)

Bill

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

I am being told they can't request this specific receiver that I get what I get...

I will report back should I get the VIP 2250 AND it fixes my issues 

I have Panasonic Home Theater and Plasma Television...

Bill

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

I am at 1 hour and 12 minutes right now and on my 4th "technician" although she is making the most headway with my problems...she tells me the Cisco receiver is known for this issue and it should be replaced with the Motorola,,,keeping fingers crossed

Bill

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.