For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
skaleyta's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, December 16th, 2011 5:01 PM

Coax coupler

Uverse newbie here.  Had Uverse installed 3 weeks  ago.  Tech used existing RG6 cables, but put all new end connectors on.  I have 3 receivers.  There is a splitter in the line for the  basement receiver.  I would like to temporarily eliminate the  basement TV. 

Do I replace the splitter with a coupler?  If so, any advice on selecting/purchasing/ordering a coupler?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Any coupler will work, just make sure the coax connectors are screwed into the coupler tight. (Actually use a wrench and tighten them about 1/8-1/4 turn past finger tight).

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

12 years ago

How many recievers are connected to the gateway via coax? If it's just two then yes all you would want to do is connect the cable that you want TV on to the end that is coming from the gateway. If all three are connected via coax, you'll want to get a smaller splitter. In terms of splitters, I have found these splitters to be the exact same ones that a U-verse tech uses.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=holland+hpna+splitter

Also, make sure that it's actually a splitter and not the HPNA adapter that is sending the signal to/from the gatway and to the STBs in your house. If it looks like one of those in my link you're safe. If all three connections are found on the same side, that's the HPNa adapter.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

skaleyta - I must be missing something. If you are not going to use a TV just dont use it. Maybe unplug the STB to save electricity,

In fact, I had the same situation - four jack splitter - discontinue 2 TVs - first I left the wire in place then I pulled it out splitter still there.

At one point, I became concerned because I read about cable boxes that did not work after a lengthy disconnect. But, when I reconnected the boxes (cat5) they rebooted fine.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses.  The At&t Tech told me I couldn't have any coax cables that did not terminate with a receiver (DVR or STB).  I assumed that meant no open ports on a splitter.  Maybe not though?

From the box on the side of my house runs coax and cat5.  The cat5 runs directly to the 2Wire modem.  The coax runs to a  splitter.  One port of the splitter goes to the basement STB, while the other continues to another  splitter at the front of the house.  From there, one coax goes to the DVR, and the second goes to a STB.  One DVR, two STB's, one modem. 

To remove the basement STB, I can simply disconnect the coax from the first splitter?

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

12 years ago

I would suggest removing the splitter and placing a coupler in its place.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks to all.

P.S..  We are very happy with the Uverse TV.  Internet is slower then I'm used to.  But I'll get used to it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.