Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

Tutor

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

Message 1 of 93 (10,057 Views)
Tutor

Re: Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

OK, after a month of the same problems everyone else is describing, after numerous phone calls and TWO techs coming out, after replacing the box and the WAP, and the patch cord,  I just completed an on line chat with a tech support rep, and was told that there is an upgraded box with added firmware available. It is being shipped to me this week. I asked why no one else mentioned this, as I also did a "disaster recovery" on Friday. and when was this new box made available. He said he did not have that information. I specifically asked if the NEW box will be different than the previous two, and was told YES. I cannot wait for it to come. It makes sense that this has been the root problem all along. This gives me hope, but we shall see what happens.

Message 31 of 93 (4,064 Views)

A possible interim fix...or diagnostic

Curious about the signal strength, I used two pieces of information I've gathered over time.

1.  Sometimes things that shouldn't work, do anyway.

2.  The regular STB has an RJ45 jack.  If the STB is connected to the system via coax, then that Ethernet port functions as though part of a network switch or hub.  I've used it in the past where I had a weak wireless signal to a Roku box.  It will also work if you have a Blu-Ray player with built-in streaming but without wifi.  You just connect the Ethernet port on the Blu-ray player to the RJ45 connection on the back of the STB.

So...I decided to try connecting my WAP to the RJ45 port on the back of my kitchen STB, which happens to be on the other side of the same wall as our "big" TV and wireless STB in the living room. 

First thing I noticed was five bars on the wireless STB.  Considering that the WAP was only about four feet away, albeit on the other side of a gypsum and travertine wall, I would hope the signal was good.  So I tried playing back a two hour program on H2.  Since I was doing something else, I just started it and muted the sound.  Every half hour or so, I came back to check on it.

Previously, within 10 minutes or so, but always within half an hour, I had the bar at the bottom of the screen with the dreaded "Press OK to browse..."  This time it played all the way through without the bar.  Last night, watched a one hour recorded program.  No problem.  Tonight, watched another one hour program.  All the way with no problem.

My conclusion?  If you can get the WAP close enough that the signal is very strong, the wireless STB works just fine playing back from the DVR.  Question is, if the WAP has to be within four feet of the wireless STB, then what's the point?  I'm going to look into the new version of the wireless STB, but this will do for now.

Message 32 of 93 (4,044 Views)
Tutor

After another SNAFU with a wrong address issue, the "new" box was finally delivered today. Honestly, was not expecting a miracle, and, SURPRISE!, didn't get one. Same issues, same problems with box #3. Spoke with tech support, again, re-booted the RG, changed the frequency, etc. to no avail. I am pretty close to giving up on the wireless box, but it will be a major hassle to go back to cable the way my TV is mounted. I don't know what else to do at this point. Any suggestions??

Message 33 of 93 (3,963 Views)
Contributor

Re: A possible interim fix...or diagnostic

I've had this same problem since my install in early January. Signal strength is not an issue. I have a direct, line-of-sight view of the transmitter about 15 feet away.

Has AT&T mentioned anything about a firmware upgrade for the current STBs?

Message 34 of 93 (3,937 Views)
Expert

hutchk wrote:

I've had this same problem since my install in early January. Signal strength is not an issue. I have a direct, line-of-sight view of the transmitter about 15 feet away.

Has AT&T mentioned anything about a firmware upgrade for the current STBs?

Yes, I saw a post on the U-verse Facebook from another customer who has the same issue.  He was contacted by someone from AT&T who indicated that this is a known issue and a firmware update is being created.  No ETA was given for the release of the update.

Message 35 of 93 (3,936 Views)
Tutor

MY "new" box, the 3rd box, was supposed to have the upgraded firmware, according to the agent on my on-line chat. If it did, it still doesn't work correctly. It's difficult to believe ANYONE at this point. But I am still not ready to give up.

Message 36 of 93 (3,931 Views)
Expert

ragcat612 wrote:

MY "new" box, the 3rd box, was supposed to have the upgraded firmware, according to the agent on my on-line chat. If it did, it still doesn't work correctly. It's difficult to believe ANYONE at this point. But I am still not ready to give up.

As far as I know, there is no updated firmware available.  The current firmware version on wireless boxes is 2.0.1047.45.

Message 37 of 93 (3,926 Views)

Smiley Sad I have 2 Wireless boxes.. Each of them Randomly do the same thing.. Tech Support has replaced both of them twice now. And my WAP, and Basically everything.. I have a Complete new System New RG, New STB, and new Wiring... Its gotta be a software bug. this has been going over well over a month or more.... Im loosing faith with uverse.. Ive been with them since 2008 and up until last year ive loved them... but this past year has been nothing but issues... bad issues...
Message 38 of 93 (3,923 Views)
Teacher

Ive got three cat5 wired stb's and one wireless. The wireless shows four bars. It plays back quite well and is more responsive than the older silver STB's but it gets the press ok error quite often...sometimes continuously. None of the wired receivers have this problem. I've rebooted dvr and rg to no avail. I do have the wireless STB hanging off of a switch. I'll try to swap it and report any improvement. Hope AT&T has a fix to us soon.
Message 39 of 93 (3,888 Views)

verynate wrote:
Ive got three cat5 wired stb's and one wireless. The wireless shows four bars. It plays back quite well and is more responsive than the older silver STB's but it gets the press ok error quite often...sometimes continuously. None of the wired receivers have this problem. I've rebooted dvr and rg to no avail. I do have the wireless STB hanging off of a switch. I'll try to swap it and report any improvement. Hope AT&T has a fix to us soon.

In my working with it, it wasn't the connection to the WAP that mattered, only getting the WAP close enough to the wireless receiver.  Once I got five bars, it was OK.  And the way I got them was using the wired (coax) STB in the next room (other side of the common wall) as a network switch, connecting the WAP to the Ethernet port on the STB.

I'm not very happy with this setup either, though.  It should work at distances greater than five feet!

Message 40 of 93 (3,867 Views)
Contributor

So I have had it with these wireless boxes.  I have called tech at least 9 timessince i've had the boxes and 5 times in the last week.  Today a tech came out and didnt even bother to change anything.  He said the system was fine and didnt have any problems.  He didnt seem to be too worried that we told him our 2 wireless boxes keep resetting or losing the signal even though the boxes have 5 bars. The guy on tech support when i called didnt bother to want to help.  he seem to want to try to get me back on wired boxes.  I have been with uverse for 2 years and until now have had great service.  I'm done with these boxes and I'm gonna call directv tomorrow to switch. 

Is there a reason that the Techs who come out give you a sheet with their numbers on them?  The only time i ever got a call back was when I threaten to cancel the service about a 2 and a half weeks ago.  Besides that my 4 other calls were never returned.

Message 41 of 93 (3,908 Views)

I think it has alot to do with Supply and demand.. Their Demand is so great, that they dont have enough good trained technicians. The last tech to come out to my house had only been on the Job Solo for a couple of months.. And I the guy told me the reason my Wifi Boxes where not working correctly was because of my cordless telephone.. Now, Yes I can believe that "Wireless Device" Conflict can happen. But Seriously? Your gonna mean to tell me I need to replace my Cordless telephone and then my Wireless Boxes are going to work.. HA! But Yea Im so tired of this DVR Press OK Button deal while im watching something that has been recorded. Happens nearly every time I was a Show on my Wifi Box from the DVR. Sad thing is they Tech told be that shows up because it looses connection with the DVR.. I said if that was the case then my Show that im watching should Jerky, or Stop or something. But it carry's on like nothing ever happened.. So the guy leaves saying nothing he can do about it and told me to change out any and all wireless device in my house. Luckily I found this forum, and found that its a firmware issue which made me feel better.. But why doesn't CSR and the Techs Know about this. Would of made life so much easier. BTW anyone know of when the fix for this will happen?
Message 42 of 93 (3,900 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

No ETA has been given for when the firmware will be updated, but it is a known issue that they are working on.  It will be fixed.  The recent firmware update for the Cisco ISB 7500 and Motorola VIP 2500 seems to have solved the rebooting issues that some were experiencing.  All we can do is be patient and wait or not be patient.

Message 43 of 93 (3,888 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd rather cancel than wait for them to do a firmware update.  If there was a probelm they should have fixed it asap and not waited for me to cancel to call last chance support.

Message 44 of 93 (3,877 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

bigtrojaned wrote:

I'd rather cancel than wait for them to do a firmware update.  If there was a probelm they should have fixed it asap.

Do whatever you feel is best.  

In a perfect world, your comment would be correct.  The reality is that no equipment or software is bug free, and problems can be found after equipment or software is released.  It's just a reality of life.  Otherwise, there would never be any product recalls or bug fixes released for software.

Message 45 of 93 (3,874 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.