tavara6's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 11:50 AM

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

It seems that our wireless STB's are doomed to problems.  I wonder if another answer might be here:

http://www.whdi.org/

Wireless HDMI could connect your wired STB to your TV wirelessly.  In addition--maybe--it might allow you to connect two TVs to the same STB, one attached directly to the STB via the component connectors and the other via wireless HDMI.  I don't know if this technology is ready for prime time, but it has promise!

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

@FormerWillyb wrote:

It seems that our wireless STB's are doomed to problems.  I wonder if another answer might be here:

http://www.whdi.org/

Wireless HDMI could connect your wired STB to your TV wirelessly.  In addition--maybe--it might allow you to connect two TVs to the same STB, one attached directly to the STB via the component connectors and the other via wireless HDMI.  I don't know if this technology is ready for prime time, but it has promise!

Followup.  After reading a review of three wireless HDMI systems at hometheater.com, I have further looked into this one at amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireless-WiFi-Multi-Room-Video/dp/B005L9ZZ32/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It has an HDMI pass through, so you can still connect a local device via HDMI.  There are also separate receivers available in case you want to transmit to more than one TV.  Since my ATT WAP is in the kitchen with the receiver just behind the wall (the only way it would work even half way OK), I could replace the wireless STB with this setup and solve two problems:  the wireless STB bugs and the living room/kitchen TV's being out of sync when watching a recording or even the same channel. 

I'm still thinking, but I'll report back here with my results if I get it.  Let's see...$200 for the wireless HDMI or $7 per month for the troubled wireless STB.  That's quite an extended payback--28 months.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

FormerWillyb - Sounds like you are trying to feed a kitchen TV without the STB in the room. But, upi cab get an HDMI cable to it (you gave the wireless STB feeding it).

Another alternative to the $200 wireless HDMI is an HDMI splitter. Hooks up the same as the wireless, but wired. for $25 plus cost of HDMI cable - http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_term=HDMI%20%2Bsplitter&ad_campaign=53983803&ad_group=2074889043&ad_network=search&ad_creative=7153161963&gclid=CKe_ir2ii6gCFUiK4AoduEbyCQ

Play the video down the page.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

Decided to try the wireless STB when the sales person on the phone offered it to me while I was calling to replace a broken remote control. It seemed like a good choice, because we had a very long ethernet cable running across our floor due to freezing/stuttering picture problems, when were trying to use the existing coax in the house.

Our wireless box has the "Press OK" bug. I disabled the 5G band on our other wireless router, we weren't using it... the wifi analyzer on my phone doesn't show any other 5G networks, and a signal of -55 to -75. I haven't  tried changing the ethernet cable, yet. We did have a tech out here the other day... he played with our outside wiring for a while, and then came inside and replaced our RG and our wireless receiver (not entirely sure if he replaced the WAP as well, but he may have). We still have the "Press OK" bug, and the freezing On Demand and it "jumps to live" any time we get behind on a show, regardless of whether any other STBs are on or anything is recording... This new box also blacks out on live TV for a few seconds at a time, several times and then resets itself every few days.

Crappiest $50 upgrade ever. I'll gladly run the big ugly ethernet cable across my floor again. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Has there been any updates to this issue? I have to call ATT to get one box replaced as it does nothing but reset over and oiver. When it does work it has this Press OK bar issue. The other receiver works fine except for the Press OK bar issue.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

i have been with UVERSE for only 3 months.  I was with DIRECTTV for over 10 years and the only reason i left them was because they dont offer internet service.  The only way i could get internet service was to contact Comcast.  That became expensive.  So I deceided to give ATT a try.  Brother do I regret it!!  I have all the same issues you all have been talking about and every week im on the phone with CS.

They set me up with a tech for tomorrow but I know there isnt anything he will be able to do for me since I have read all the same issues on this forum.

A word to anyone that is thinking of leaving their current tv provider....DONT DO IT !!!   Im certain that ATT is aware of these issues and I havent heard them trying to repair it.  If they dont know of the issues, then they are truly blind to their business and who would want to stay with a company that isnt aware of serious equipment issues.

Wont ne long before i cancel their service!!

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

More than likley those having issues with the wireless stb also have the DVR plugged into the RG via ethernet as well. If you can try this.

Keep the WAP connected to the RG ,and if you have a switch that can handle multicast traffic, Plug thr dvr into the switch.

or

With an approved splitter move the DVR to coax and keep the WAP into the RG

This has eliminated playback issues, freezing, and blue screen. Providing you have a good signal on STB

Try it and let me know. All TESTED feedback is welcome.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

After 6 months of no joy, I found a solution to the "Press OK..." issue.

After having AT&T replace various hardware several times to no avail, I changed the SSID of my wirless network from the default 2WIREXXX to a custom name I made up. I also changed the password, but don't think changing the password matters. I live in a condo complex and noticed their are thirty 2WIRE networks in range. Don't know why there would be an issue, but like I said I no longer have the annoying "Press OK..." issue.

To access the 2WIRE Configuration page you need to put this address in your browser http://192.168.1.254. Note you will need to have your system password to save the settings.

Hope that helps you!  I was about to give up and switch providers.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

No testers. All these issues and no one to try?

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

My DVR was already on a coax connection, and my SSID was already a custom name.  Both were that way before I installed the wireless receiver.  So I guess it's safe to say those fixes wouldn't fix it for me?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.