tavara6's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 11:50 AM

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

@FormerWillyb wrote:

On coax.  If you have a new home or new wiring, you may be able to get faster than 10Mb over coax.  My house is 22 years old, and even when it was new, the cable company guy commented on the low coax cable quality.  I've run Internet speed tests from a laptop connected to a coax-wired STB as well as from my Vizio TV itself.  With my 18Mb U-verse Internet, the best I can get over the Coax is approximately 9600 bps. 

Cable that old likely doesn't meet the specs that AT&T installers are suppose to require. Have you installed UVREALTIME and looked at the nominal bit rate on that link?

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Cable that old likely doesn't meet the specs that AT&T installers are suppose to require. Have you installed UVREALTIME and looked at the nominal bit rate on that link?

No, I haven't, but then I don't really have a problem with my cable-connected STB's.  My Vizio TV and Roku boxes are all wifi.  I'm almost sorry I brought up the coax question, as it seems to be driving this thread off track.  

The OP asked about problems with wireless STB playing back DVR recordings.  I offered up what I did that has worked for me.  The coax stuff was really sidebar, in case readers were not aware that a coax-wired STB could also function as a single-port network switch for a network/internet device.  The data on coaxial cables, while interesting, is not pertinent to the original post, answer to which is obvious to all by now:  Yes, there does seem to be a fairly widespread problem with DVR playback over a wireless STB.

I apologize to the forum for causing the thread to get off the through track and onto a siding.  (Railroad jargon)

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Glad you to know you got that issue resolved.  He may not have heard of any problems with wireless boxes, but I knew there would be a few issues at least.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Just to register my own problems - I set up my first wireless box a little over 24 hours ago.  The only problem I have experienced is the white bar / losing list of recordings.  It has happened about 6 to 8 times in 24 hours.  I have rebooted every U-Verse component I own (RG, DVR, STBs, WAP) and still have the problem.  The wireless STB downloaded a software update automatically right after I connected it to the WAP last night (and I have rebooted it, the WAP, and the RG since that update was applied).

The last thing I tried tonight was to replace the ethernet cable from the RG to the WAP with my own cable.  I have rebooted the WAP and wireless box again and will see how it does tomorrow.  I hope U-Verse will be able to come up with a solution to this problem if it continues happening.  

My own setup has the RG/WAP about 15 feet from the wireless STB across an open space.  The STB's wireless lights show full connection strength at all times.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath... I had the WAP about 20 foot away and still had issues. Back to wired and back to no problems for me...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

My DVR keeps displaying the "Press OK to browse a list of recordings" bar across the bottom of the screen when playing recordings. Anyone seen this?

{post merged}

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Intentionally ran TV with wireless box most of the day after swapping ethernet cable on the WAP. Also a couple hours watched on DVR. Had one instance of the OK message in 10 hours. So improved for me but not solved yet.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Been reading this thread with interest. Amazing that folks are actually paying $49 for the install and $7/mo for these things! I don't and would be irate if I did!

I have been addressing the "Press OK to..." banner during DVR playback with Tier 2 tech support ever since we got the wireless STB. I am getting a solid 4 bars on the WSTB by placing the WAP on top of the entertainment unit in a vertical position, i.e. the cables are pointing down and the top of the WAP is pointing down the hall to the WSTB's bedroom location (about 40' away). This seemed to make a substantial change in stability to the wireless connection, but the banner issue was still there. (As a side note, I think that the WAP boxes would show a marked performance improvement by having an external antenna akin to the original wireless routers.)

It doesn't have any issues simply playing regular TV channels, so that means that 1. it isn't the signal strength from the WAP-to-WSTB, and 2. there is a communication protocol issue between the WSTB and the DVR. My determination was a software glitch in the WSTB's DVR recording list polling function (pulling the recorded program data into the WSTB). I was right.

It was confirmed by Tier 2 Tech Support management personnel that there is an operating system (OS) glitch with the WSTB. The fix will have to come from the OS provider (Microsoft). I was told that it was supposed to arrive in an update in the month of June. Still waiting.

Most tech support reps and field personnel do not know about this. Don't ask me why.

Don't go chasing your tail trying new cables, new locations, new configurations, etc.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

I installed a 2nd wireless STB yesterday.  It has run smoothly so far without the "OK" bar issue.  The first STB I installed still does the "OK" message, perhaps 3 - 4 times per day. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.