tavara6's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 11:50 AM

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

I too have tried replacing the cat5 cable from the RG to the access point.  No difference as I still get the annoying banner during most any playback of recordings.  My connections are all cat5 except the connection from the outside to the RG.  I believe the issue is more likely a software problem that ATT either can't find or won't fix.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Cat 5

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Update...

After months of frustration, I think the problem (wireless STB automatically booting on a daily basis) has disappeared.

My original configuration was:

3 TVs total. 2 TVs connected with wired STBs, 1 TV with wireless STB. Wireless STB connected via HDMI. Wired STBs connected via component cables. 2 of the 3 TVs are HD TVs - 1080p capable, the third is not an HD TV.

I removed the 3rd wired STB (non-HD TV) all together since we really weren't using it much and connected the TV with the wireless STB with component cable instead of HDMI and, voila, problem is gone. Wireless STB no longer resets automatically.

As for the less than stellar video playback on the wireless STB (which is still a problem)... Tier2 support sent a tech out this week to look things over and he intimated that the recorded video playback problems (with the wireless STB) could be due to bandwidth or 1 of 1,000 other reasons. He really didn't know.

I'm just happy the wireless STB isn't resetting all the time. AT&T customer supports acknowledges that there are issues with HDMI connectivity and the wireless STB. Tech even said that he's seen HDMI ports go bad on the TV itself... not sure about that myself necessarily.

So, for now, things are better.

Hope your troubles go away too.

Peace...

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

I wasn't sure if I should add this to another DVR question, but since it is a different symptom, here it is.  Besides the usual hangs and skips during playback of HD recordings, this new issue has recently surfaced.

At some point during playback--maybe ten minutes, maybe 30 minutes--a silver bar appears near the bottom of the screen with "Press OK to browse a list of recordings".  Playback continues, although some of the remote functions stop working, and the bar stays on the screen until i press OK.  Then it goes to the recording list, I can select what I was watching and resume--usually where I left off, or pretty close.  After another 10 to 30 minutes, the message comes up again.

Background, other info:  I've had the wireless only a month or so, and in the beginning, the WAP had to be replaced.  I also replaced the patch cable with a known good Cat 5e cable.  The WAP is located upstairs about five feet from the RG and about 12-15 feet from the receiver, although there is a floor, ceiling and another wall in between, plus the receiver is inside a wood cabinet.  The receiver consistently shows 4 bars, unless I try moving the WAP around to different spots, in which case it drops to 3 bars, so 4 bars is the best I can get.  The only possible interference I can think of is a 5.8 GHz cordless phone transmitter in the same room, maybe five feet away, although disconnecting that device doesn't make a difference.

I've seen this on another forum, but it was not resolved there.  I've just been reinstated here with a new user name, so while this is probably message 1, I'm not really new here.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

@unrtechie wrote:

The biggest thing with the wireless STB is to make sure the access point is clear of any 5 GHz interference.  I had mine down on the floor and connected through a switch to my RG.  When i moved it off the floor and connected it to the RG it quit having an issue.  And yes, I swapped out the box thinking it was the box but instead on moving the access point it seemed to get better.  If the access point is on a switch, it seems to get overwhelmed with the multicast traffic.  Also make sure nothing else is trying to use port 443.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Does a 5.8GHz cordless phone interfere?  I had four bars and the "Press OK to browse..." problem.  I moved the WAP across the room with a long Cat 5e cable.  Initially, I got five bars.  I started up, started a DVR playback, and then a couple minutes into the playback I got a message that there were no programs to play and then that the signal was lost.   Rebooted the wireless box, it came back with 4 bars, and ten minutes into playback, the "Press OK to browse..." is back again.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

markwmsn wrote:
I just had a tech chat rep swear up and down that the wireless receivers did not use, depend on, or interfere with port 443.

Logon to the RG and look at the DHCP leases.  Find the Cisco wap and click Details.  You'll see something like this:

Allowed ApplicationsApplication TypeProtocolPort Number(s)Public IP
connectToCiscoAP-TCP44399.120.152.224

Any other ideas?  I'm ready to send back the wireless receiver and call a cable guy to run a new Cat 5e cable!  Or maybe a long HDMI cable from another receiver.  Anyone know if you can concurrently use the component video and hdmi?

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Send Alex a PM he is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, FormerWillyB, now that I have a wireless receiver, I can see that the tech chat rep was mistaken. Luckily, my only use for port 443 is on my static IP addresses.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

Here is what puzzles me.  There are clearly a lot of people experiencing the "Press OK to browse..." phenomenon.  A lot.  It must not be everyone, though, so what is the difference in the setups with and without the problem? 

I'm beginning to suspect that signal strength--or rather signal weakness--may be the root of the problem.  I also suspect that the signal strength indicator on the front of the wireless stb may not be accurate.  I tested playback with a non-HD recording, and it had no problem, but a few minutes into an HD recording, and the banner was back.  That would seem to suggest bandwidth is the issue, with HD requiring more, and distance/signal strength are both factors in connection speed.  Has anyone been able to remove the problem by moving the WAP and STB really close together? 

Maybe, this wireless receiver was never intended to work at great distances but rather with line of sight, like across a room.  I've read many complaints about a problem with the various wireless HDMI devices on the market.  In some cases they work just fine, while in others even line of sight is not good enough.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

12 years ago

We have the "Press OK to browse..." problem, and we watch almost no HD shows. (Long story.)

It was worse with the first wireless receiver we got. Tech support shipped us a second one, which has so far worked somewhat better. (the first one would stay in a loop rebuilding the list of recordings, getting partway through it, dropping back to none, rebuilding it again ... for a half-hour or more. that hasn't happened with the replacement.)
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.