RC54's profile

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

Monday, April 1st, 2013 4:39 PM

Cannot stream recorded video from DVR to one of my STB's.

Whenever I try to play a recording on one of my TV's it doesn't work. Seems to work fine on all the other three TV's, but for some reason it will not work with this one particular TV.

I can watch live TV no problem, and get into the Recordings menu, but when I select a recording to watch it will go to a black screen with a spinning circular arrow on the screen, like it's searching or something, and then it will stop with a message that says "Recording playback is unavailable. Make sure this TV receiver and the DVR receiver are connected to the network". Tried with several different recordings...same result.

All STB's and the DVR are connected via coax.

Thanks...Randy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

RC54 - Since you have TVs connected using existing COAX - Is the RG also connected to the NID via COAX? If yes you have a three port diplexer. One port goes to the NID, the center one to the RG and the third goes to the splitter for other TVs. If the RG is connected cat6 there is no diplexer, just a splitter,

Make sure all coax connections are tight, Did they replace the coax ends with compression fittings? Good, one piece cable - no barrel connectors.
I always worry that the coax connections are not on the right port

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Problem solved

I had all of the coax lines connected through my Open House video hub, Channel Plus model H8388ID. It was all working good until I tried to play a recorded video on this one TV, which just wouldn't work. Once I removed the hub and connected all of the cables to the splitter that the installer left for me it all worked normal.The installer told me that I could probably use the hub and that it should work fine, which is what I wanted to do. It was just a cleaner installation with the hub.

I don't understand why it didn't work with the hub, though.  How was I able to watch live TV with no problems but not a recorded video?...doesn't make sense.

But, thanks for the help, aviewer. I appreciate your quick response and efforts with my issue.

Randy

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

RC54 - How is the TV connected to the STB. Sounds like the record/play process does not like what it sees on the HDMI.

Try a different connection - composite or component or s-video or coax. Be sure to disconnect any HDMI at the STB/DVR.

THis is not the DVR itself? Could be the COAX/HPNA network. THe DVR should be connected to the RG via cat5. Can you try a cat5 connection instead of coax?

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Hi aviewer, and thanks for helping.

RC54 - How is the TV connected to the STB. Sounds like the record/play process does not like what it sees on the HDMI.

It is connected via HDMI

THis is not the DVR itself? Could be the COAX/HPNA network. THe DVR should be connected to the RG via cat5. Can you try a cat5 connection instead of coax?

No, this is just one of three STB's that I have. The system was just installed a few months ago and everything was connected using RG6 coax that I alreday had runing to each location. Can I switch just the DVR to cat5 and leave the rest with coax?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

RC54 - Try the easiest first - the HDMI?

Yes, connect just the DVR cat5. If you could connect the problem one temporarily It might rule out the STB/HDMI/TV/.

I need to go out for a couple of hours. I can get back to this around 5:00 EDT.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

RC54 - The HPNA seems to be very fragile. A fault anywhere in the network can cause failure & it does show up first on the recording feature.

When people talk about getting a splitter, they are caution to get one that passes very high frequencies (higher than std TV). Probably your hub does not pass the high frequency.

Glad you tracked it down & got it working.

Former Employee

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Note that most splitters will not work properly with uverse services as they are multicast allowing information both ways. Cable companys use filters that determine which way the signal can flow. A store bought splitter is not going to fix the problem.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hello. I'm searching for solutions to my similar problem with my DVR with AT&T Uverse. I get the same message almost everyday now, when I try to watch a recorded episode.  I am able to watch my episodes but right after work, around 430pm my recorded programs pause or stop displaying and throw up the message "Recording playback is unavailable."  I have had this DVR replaced before. AT&T Tech support said the issue was with my DVR.  So now I have had this DVR for about a year (or maybe 2) and I still get these messages and "network errors".

I don't have any extra networking equipment. I use exactly what AT&T tech's have installed.  Does this suggest the issue is with my coax cable and not my service or DVR device ?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I should clarify, I can watch my recorded programs, it just keeps getting interrupted with this message.  I can generally go back into the recorded episode and watch some more, until it puases again 5-10 minutes later.  But I have noticed that later in the evenings the recordings playback almost flawlessly, without throwing this message up.

Also, I have had issues with On Demand and even live TV that was paused for a few minutes. Pausing live TV generally dumps me back to ACTUAL live TV after 10-60 minutes of watching behind actual live TV.

Hope this explains my issue better.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@KKStephenson - It well could be the wiring if you have COAX distribution. It can be anywhere in the COAX network. The DVR needs to comunicate back to att to work. This backward flow can be more sensitive than the content flow.

Is the DVR connected to the RG via COAX? Can you change it to cat5?

Check if all connections are tight & have compression fittings.

See if any splitters or diplexer is connected correctly (match labels).

No barrel connectors or sharp bends.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.