HavingACrisis's profile

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

Sunday, January 6th, 2019 5:32 PM

Can’t get AT&T RF universal remote to control AT&T cable receiver, can RF be turned off?

I got a brand new AT&T remote control to replace the old one. It looks exactly like the original black one, but it’s silver. I’ve gotten it to control the TV, but can’t get it to control the AT&T cable receiver. After a ton of research I’ve figured out the problem: The new remote is RF (the instructions that came with it say IR, but the remote has very small RF letters at the bottom under the AT&T logo), and I don’t have the USB dongle. First questions: Will a “generic” USB dongle work and, if so, what would I need to get? Or is a specific USB dongle needed for this remote and/or cable receiver? If so, where would I get that? (I’ve been searching but can’t find anything, which is why I’m asking.)

In all my research I did see a post stating that the RF can be turned off or on: Press and hold the AT&T and OK keys, all 4 “device” keys blink twice, then enter code 916 and press OK to turn off RF (same thing but code 915 to turn RF back on). The remote still won’t communicate with the receiver. Is there another way to turn off the RF?

This all started because we got a new TV and are trying to get the one universal AT&T remote to control both the cable receiver and TV. After programming the original AT&T black remote to the TV it will only allow us to change channels on the TV, but not turn the TV on or off or control volume. We tried another AT&T remote that we use for another TV. After programming for the TV this one allows us to change both the volume and channels on the TV, but not turn the TV on or off. The new RF remote allows us to do everything we want with the TV, but nothing with the cable receiver (no dongle). If we could get this new remote to control the cable receiver, we’d be really happy. Otherwise we’ll be back to the old days of needing two remotes!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

First questions: Will a “generic” USB dongle work and, if so, what would I need to get? Or is a specific USB dongle needed for this remote and/or cable receiver?

That had to be a mistake.  You weren't supposed to get an RF ("Point anywhere") remote since att sells those (or used to sell those) and they don't get good reviews.  If it was to work at all it would come with it's own USB dongle which receives the RF signal from the remote and converts it to IR so that the IR sensor on the dvr or receiver can see the IR just like it would get from a standard IR remote.  You should call tech support and tell them they made a mistake and to send you the correct one (S10, S20, S30).

In all my research I did see a post stating that the RF can be turned off or on

- - -

This all started because we got a new TV and are trying to get the one universal AT&T remote to control both the cable receiver and TV. After programming the original AT&T black remote to the TV it will only allow us to change channels on the TV, but not turn the TV on or off or control volume. We tried another AT&T remote that we use for another TV. After programming for the TV this one allows us to change both the volume and channels on the TV, but not turn the TV on or off. The new RF remote allows us to do everything we want with the TV, but nothing with the cable receiver (no dongle). If we could get this new remote to control the cable receiver, we’d be really happy. Otherwise we’ll be back to the old days of needing two remotes!

The RF remotes have the exact same functions as the standard att remotes, no more, no less.  At a minimum they control on/off (sometimes mute) and volume, sometimes input select.  Anything else is just luck.  But you need to program them correctly for your particular tv model.

As for need two remotes, I always recommend keeping the tv remote nearby to do all the addition functions the tv might need that aren't supplied by the att remotes.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

5 years ago

@_xyzzy_, thank you for your reply.  I will look to get the IR remote (like the ones I have) and move on to more important things!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.