Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I hardwire multiple DVRs to one AT&T cable modem

Tutor

Can I hardwire multiple DVRs to one AT&T cable modem

One (main) DVR is hard-wired and the rest are wireless; however, I'd like to hard-wire another one of the DVRs. Can I do this? The cable modem that I have was installed a couple of months ago and still has two open Ethernet ports on the back.

Message 1 of 8
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎03-08-2017 4:00 AM

Re: Can I hardwire multiple DVRs to one AT&T cable modem

There is only one DVR in the system, the rest (wired or wireless) are just receivers that access the DVR functions from the actual DVR by a list kept in the gateway.

To move a wireless receiver receiver to hardwired, need the Ethernet cable from receiver to gateway.

1) Unplug the Uverse WAP power, unplug the DVR and wireless receiver....

2) Factory reset the gateway, will lose any custom settings such as SSID/password, etc. This is necessary in order to rebuild the device list kept in the gateway that controls access to DVR functions. Plug in DVR. Wait 5 minutes

3) Connect the wireless receiver by Ethernet cable....

4) Plug in power to wireless receiver, will first attempt to connect to WAP (thus need no power to WAP), will time out and then connect to gateway via ethertnet, this process could take 5-10 minutes.

5) test both live TV and DVR functions, if no DVR functions, reboot receiver.

6) once working can plug in WAP to access other wireless receivers.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Tutor

I am having a little trouble with step #4. I got the receiver to say "Gateway / Access Point not found or connection error" but I don't know how to force it to recognize the Ethernet cable I have connected to the gateway.

Message 3 of 8
Tutor

I think I just got past step #4. It didn't time out the way I thought it would. I had to hit the OK button on the receiver and then it seemed to try again and connect via Ethernet. I am confident it is via Ethernet because I see the guide and can play from DVR and I still have the WAP turned off. THANK YOU!

Message 4 of 8
Tutor

My Thoughts,

Thank you for you detailed instructions. I have followed them step by step but my wireless receiver does not seem to pick up the Ethernet connection. After I've done all steps and plug in power to the wireless (now wired) receiver, and wait 15 minutes, the screen just stays at message said U-verse is unavailable, please restart receiver.

I have verified that the Ethernet connection is functioning by using it with my laptop.

Any ideas for what else I could do? I'd love to not have this running over the wifi if not needed.

Thanks
Message 5 of 8
Tutor

I had the same problem. I've gotten past this twice now. When I first did this, I had to hit the OK button *on the receiver* and then it seemed to try again and connect via Ethernet. You do this after it can't connect to the WAP. Please give that a try. Also, you may need two consecutive reboots for it to pick up Ethernet. Be patient -- it's really worth it as I'm getting great responsiveness from the hard-wired receiver now.

Message 6 of 8
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Giving this another shot, though I don't get the error message you did about can't find WAP. I get "U-verse not available at this time. Please try again later." W a Restart receiver button. No green link light. Press okay on receiver, and same thing happens again
Message 7 of 8
Tutor

I had that happen once. It came back to the Ethernet connection after a reboot.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support