golfatx's profile

Mentor

• 

93 Messages

Tuesday, December 18th, 2018 1:47 AM

Can I convert a U-Verse wireless receiver to wired?

I have 2 U-Verse wireless receivers that get a poor signal resulting in bad reception, and unfortunately, moving the WPS receiver is not an option. Since the wireless receivers do have an Ethernet port, can I just plug them directly into the wall jack or network switch to utilize a wired connection? I have a 3rd wired U-Verse receiver that works well (presumably because it is hardwired). If I do plug the wireless receivers to the wall jack, is there any provisioning AT&T needs to do? Is that even possible or do I need a different receiver altogether? I did notice the wireless receivers are a different model than the wired. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

If you mean a unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch (e.g., Netgear GS105NA) then yes I believe you can so long as you don't also connect your internet devices through that same switch.  The IPTV multicast traffic and internet traffic don't play nice with one another (tv stuff won't work).  That's not to say it can't be done but then you need managed switches.  For that here are two related threads,

DVR recording list not showing on STB

Networking setup affects DVR

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

The way you convert a wireless receiver to wired is ethernet connect it from one of the free yellow ethernet ports on the gateway to the network port on the wireless receiver.  Remove the WAP (if there is only one wireless receiver) and reboot the gateway to updates its device list.  Otherwise leave the WAP connected but still reboot the gateway. 

Bottom line, no, there is "wall jacks" you can use unless your house is ethernet wired through those wall jacks (must be ethernet sockets) through some centralized patch panel where you can effect the proper inter-connections from gateway to receiver.

Mentor

• 

93 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks, @_xyzzy_

My house is wired for Ethernet in every room and it all runs back to the AT&T patch panel. FWIW, my entire neighborhood was pre-wired for AT&T because they're the only current provider. If I understand you correctly, I should just be able to plug in the network cable and turn off the WAP (which sits next to the RG). Am I able to utilize a network switch? Ethernet wall port -> Network switch then Port two on the switch -> U-Verse receiver.

Mentor

• 

93 Messages

5 years ago

@_xyzzy_ thank you. I had a tech come out and he installed 5 port managed switches for each of my boxes I was replacing. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I have two wireless receivers, so I need the WAP on for the one on the main floor. The wireless box in the basement isn't communicating very well with the WAP -- getting screen freezes and bitmaps. My house is wired with ethernet. Can i just plug the "faulty" wireless receiver into the ethernet connection?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.