bobwiley66's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, November 25th, 2012 1:20 PM

Can DVR record short clips and not entire show from beginning?

I have just changed over from Dish network.  My wife always recorded short clips from multiple shows every evening for me to watch the next day.  Is the Whole Home DVR capable of recording short clips?  As it seems to operate, it begins "tracking" a show the instant that channel is selected.  When "record" is pushed, the DVR begins recording at the point where the channel was selected.  This seems to be a stupid waste of resources.  (example:  program selected and watched for 50 minutes, guest comes on, record is pushed, and the entire previous content of that channel is chosen as the beginning point for the recording.)  Any way to defeat this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bobwiley66 - The short answer is no, but depending on exactly what you are asking, it is possible.

Sounds like your wife is watching the show & knows when to trigger the recording. If this is the case you want to resolve, it can be done with two extra button clicks.

As you say, U-verse records from when you begin watching the channel. So, when time to record - chan up - chan down - record. When the segment is over bring up the menu and stop recording. If stop recording is not on the info button use the recording menu.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

thx for the suggestion. I had considered that, and it is more than likely the only solution short of a software re-write. It is astounding that the "brains" at AT&T would leave out this basic capability. Without it, the desire to record 10 short 2 minute segments can use up more than 19 hours of real estate. Not too bright!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bobwiley66 - In fairness to at&t they cannot do everything - to please everyone. I have listed many things that I see as deficient. It does seem they should have a process for addressing this type of thing.

I think they make a lot of people happy with capturing the whole show. I believe I did try watching only certain segments of the late night shows & became good friends with the fast forward button.

Then there are the technical considerations (which we do not know about). You say small segments wil save space. I can imagine that every recording is in half hour segments yo make disc management faster. Who knows??
Anyway, only save it for a few nights, right. So, space should not be an issue.

They have to apply what they have to what they see as the largest audience.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I agree with most of what you say, EXCEPT, you would think that if you push on the record button, it would start recording.  Not from a different point, but from the point at which you push "record."  If you want to record earlier parts of the show, then "fast-rewind" would be

used.  I still think this lack of immediate response is an omission.  There must be reasons they didn't include this, but I ask myself "why," when every other recorder, whether it be audio, video, voice, computer, etc. STARTS RECORDING FROM THE POINT AT WHICH THE RECORD BUTTON IS PUSHED!  Duh!  Smile.  Bob

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@bobwiley66 wrote:

I agree with most of what you say, EXCEPT, you would think that if you push on the record button, it would start recording.  Not from a different point, but from the point at which you push "record."  If you want to record earlier parts of the show, then "fast-rewind" would be

used.  I still think this lack of immediate response is an omission.  There must be reasons they didn't include this, but I ask myself "why," when every other recorder, whether it be audio, video, voice, computer, etc. STARTS RECORDING FROM THE POINT AT WHICH THE RECORD BUTTON IS PUSHED!  Duh!  Smile.  Bob

Maybe, there are as many others who wonder why they can't push RECORD and get the whole show before they turned it on.  Different strokes... Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.