Chapforehead's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 9th, 2013 7:42 AM

Be sure you ask for a DVR that records, or you might get a DVR that doesn't record

After two hours total of AT&T support, rebooting, reinstalling firmware, we finally discovered the solution to the problem.  I wanted to share it here so others don't have to deal with this.

If you order U-verse Total Home DVR, a technician will come out and install the modem, install the TV set-top box, check all the connections and leave.  Once gone, I found that I could not pause live TV and while I could record shows, they don't actually record.  I didn't think to check out that feature with the technician present.

After all of the support calls, it turns out that they determined that I don't have the recording DVR.  I explained that "R" in DVR refers to "recording" but apparently AT&T has a Total Home DVR that doesn't actually record.

As the AT&T rep explained, perhaps I didn't specifically request the U-Verse DVR with recording capabilities.  My bad.  I didn't actually request specifically recording capabilities.  My set-top box does have that capability, but it was not pushed out from the central server.

So, remember to ask specifically for the DVR that records.  I don't think you have to specifically as for one that plays back programs it records, but ask just in case.

Oh, and if you are using U-verse, you have to make sure to ask the technician to "register" the install so that your Internet connection is not blocked five days after installation.

I am not sure exactly what else you need to specifically request.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the help.

AT&T technician came out promptly.  There is a reset that is more inclusive than the remote reset.  It's power+OK+down and hold for two flashes of the lights then release.  That restored the recording functionality (also the pause, rewind and other features).  He explained that so many of the DVRs are reused (a good thing, in my opinion) and so my unit is likely to be a refurbished unit.  Sometimes when the refurbished ones are configured, the recording part is not activated correctly.

(The AT&T technician is coming back.  As it turns out, they detected unrelated U-verse line problems and fixed those by disconnecting most of the unused twisted pairs at the media cabinet.  I didn't think to check my previously working fine POTS, but he disconnected the POTS when removing the other unused lines.  Before he leaves this next time, I will check that the DVR records, check that the POTS works, and probably check that hot and cold water are still available at the faucets just to safe them another trip.)

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

If you are on U-200 or higher, you are issued a free DVR.  There is no such thing as a "DVR that doesn't record."  That, we call a non-DVR STB, or simply STB (set top box).  We call the DVR box, well a DVR.

How many receivers do yoiu have and what are their model numbers?

So you did not check the "Pause Live TV function," before he left?

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

One receiver.  VIP 2250.  I am on U-450.  And, no, I did not check the Pause Live TV before he left.  I checked the on/off, the menu worked, the guide worked, I could change channels, I could record things, I could select stuff from the guide, but that's about all I checked.  But it did not occur to me that I needed to check whether I could pause TV.

I totally agree that there is no such thing as a DVR that doesn't record, and I refrained from using a Spock voice to say "That would be illogical to have a DVR with no R." I did word that question in several ways with the person on the phone to make sure I was hearing that right.  And, so, yes, I have a DVR that does not record.  (When I press the "Record" button on live TV, then press it again, it even says "You've already selected this for recording").  So perhaps it would be more precise to say that it might be recording, but it is apparently not enabled to play back what it records or show any of the recordings in the list of recordings.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

That's a shame that the tech didn't verify all the features before he/she left.

When I was first installed the tech went thru all the motions, explaining each one.  Of course, that was 4+ years ago.

Please know that your experience is the exception and not the rule.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Chapforehead - Forget about your encounter with the CSR. The CSR was totally misguided.

You got a faulty DVR. Try rebooting by removing the power for 30 seconds. If that does not work you need a replacement. Any CSR should be able to send you one.

Just for reinforcement -
U450 includes a recording DVR.
Model 2250 is a recording DVR.
As you say the R stands for recording.
Most equipment works when installed. It would be nice to check everything before the installer leaves, but the percentage of failure is so small it seems a waste of time.

The next CSR you talk to should be more professional.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

YEA!  Glad they got you up and running.  What you described is a "hard reset/reboot".

Kudos for the hot & cold water comment!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@Chapforehead wrote:

One receiver.  VIP 2250.  I am on U-450.  And, no, I did not check the Pause Live TV before he left.  I checked the on/off, the menu worked, the guide worked, I could change channels, I could record things, I could select stuff from the guide, but that's about all I checked.  But it did not occur to me that I needed to check whether I could pause TV.

I totally agree that there is no such thing as a DVR that doesn't record, and I refrained from using a Spock voice to say "That would be illogical to have a DVR with no R." I did word that question in several ways with the person on the phone to make sure I was hearing that right.  And, so, yes, I have a DVR that does not record.  (When I press the "Record" button on live TV, then press it again, it even says "You've already selected this for recording").  So perhaps it would be more precise to say that it might be recording, but it is apparently not enabled to play back what it records or show any of the recordings in the list of recordings.

The VIP 2250 is a DVR.  It simply sounds like it was not configured, as such.  See this thread for a similar instance.   I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and ask for a credit / adjustmernt.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Got it all resolved.  But I had to learn more than I wanted to about technical details and organizational structure within the customer support ranks.  Not going to ask for a credit, as it was only down two days.  But next time, I'll know exactly what to do.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Agree, the tech that did my install was very good. Showed all features.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.