jasonb_1's profile

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 9:00 PM

Audio out HDMI???

I am trying to get audio through the ARC on my tv. I have everything set up correctly.  I can't get sound from the stb to go back to the receiver.   The stb is in input 6 while the ARC is input 4.  Input 4 goes back to the receiver.  What could I possibly be doing wrong?  The only thing I can think of, is that there is no audio over HDMI from the stb???  Is that right??? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

Also ... Some (usually older) TVs do not pass-through or pass-back the audio from any input ... only from the tuner or sound that sources from the TV itself.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jasonb_1 - If the audio in the STB is set to surround it will be on the HDMI, but not heard on a device that cannot decode it.

What is an ARC? How does an input go back to a receiver?

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

well aviewer, ARC stands for Audio Return Channel.  The audio from a source is passed back to the receiver through hdmi.  It is a way to cut down on the number of cables you need.   And ScottMac, yeah, I think that is what is going on.  Oh well.  worth a shot.  Thanks for both your replies!!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jasonb_1 - So the arc is an output from the TV? Is it an HDMI or RCA? Did you try the HDMI direct to the receiver? Are you trying for surround Sound or just more convenient for switch between sources? What is your TV make/model?

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

Hi aviewer, I just saw your reply.  I am using hdmi.  I just tried it hdmi directly to the receiver and it works.  I can get it to work with stereo through the ARC.  I am trying to get a more convenient switch between sources.  My tv is a sharp aquos LC-40LE820UN.  I can get ARC  to work in surround with other sources, by the way.  I had it playing dts over ARC on my blu ray player.  It doesn't seem to like the output from the stb, which I assume is dolby since that's what it plays over optical and what my receiver said it was over hdmi directly to it.  The tv says it has received an incompatible signal.  I guess I may have to rework my cables so I can go directly into the receiver.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jasonb_1 - So, the STB/surround works direct to the receiver but, not through the TV & other devices do work through the TV. Did you try swapping inputs on the TV to see if the problem stays with the input or follows the STB.

Probably time to call Sharp to find out why STB works direct to receiver, but not through the TV.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

hey aviewer, I got it figured out.  When I had the blu ray playing dts it was putting out pcm.  I forgot about that setting.  Now it makes sense... the tv only wants pcm.  It can do the stereo which is pcm, but not the dolby or dts.  As for bitrates and such, I am sure it is limited.  But I reworked the cables and now I get surround sound through the receiver which is what I wanted.  I am going directly to the receiver from the stb.  Thanks for your input!!

Jason

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jasonb_1 - Glad you got working. I learned something new - about ARC - pretty neat way to hook up a receiver.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

BTW, Sharp Acquos ARC does not support thevbuilt-in tuner or the built-in apps as a source for ARC.  That means you need to use the optical out if your TV to the surround system in order to enjoy higher quality sound.  The Sharp tech said that "ARC was intended for sources directly connected to the other HDMI ports of the TV, which then route the sound through HDMI1".  Wow, that kind of defeats the entire purpose of ARC, since its' primary advantage is to reduce the number of cable runs to the TV.  If I have all of my AV going through my AVR, why in tarnation would I want to run cables to the TV?   I have an LG TV that easily sends sound through ARC right to my AVR, with either the tuner or the TV apps as a source.

SAY IT AIN't SO, SHARP!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Sharp Acquos Link support tells me that the ARC does not support TV tuner or on-board apps as a source.  The source must come from one or more of the TVs HDMI inputs.  So you ave to run an optical cable anyway if you want to hear on-board apps or thebTVs built-in tuner through your AVR/Surround system.  I have an LG without such limitations,mandvapps and tuner work just fine over ARC.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.