Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 1:21 AM

Audio is garbled

For a while I have noticed a problem with the audio.  The only way I can describe it is that it sounds garbled.  Like they are talking with marbles in their mouth.  Not everybody.  Now that I think about it, it seems to be mostly female voices. It has to be the receiver because it happens in both rooms.  I've been powering down on a regular basis (as recommended) and it doesn't change this problem.  It's not major...just annoying.  Has anyone had this problem?

Professor

• 

2K Messages

12 years ago

Have you unplugged it for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in?

Are all your connections tight?

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I did those things. We have the audio on the tv's turned all the way up sp that we get a good volume from the receiver's volume control.  Could that be it?  

Have you heard of this garbled audio before?

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Like in THIS post?

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

spd2demun...you need to make your font bigger when you post.  I almost missed your important reply.    The underwater sound is much worse than what I am getting, but I think it's the same thing.  When you say change the channel, do you mean instead of setting my TV to channel 4 I should set it to number 3?  I'm almost always watching recorded TV so the changing the channel thing is confusing to me.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Just change to another channel with your remote, go up or down a channel on the Uverse box (not the TV).

Example:  200 sounds reverb'd, then change up to 201 or down to 199--or just pick a channel, any channel.  Leaving the one that sounds underwater and then coming back to it fixes it (or at least it does here).

Scholar

• 

87 Messages

12 years ago

How is your U-verse box connected to your TV:  HDMI, component (red-blue-green-red-white), or composite (yellow-red-white)?  If you are connected by HDMI, then what is your digital audio output set to:  Stereo (may say PCM) or Surround Sound?

Early in our days with U-verse (fall 2009), the surround sound over HDMI didn't sync up that well with my daughter's LG TV.  It wouldn't be as bad as the underwater sound referenced in this thread, but it would take changing the channel then coming back to the original channel to clear it up.  So....  We set our TV's to stereo to avoid the issue (OK since there were occasional lipsync problems as well).  Somewhere in the spring of 2010, I happened to get curious and change back to surround sound.  Think it was after an upgrade, but anyway, the surround sound has worked beautifully on all our LG TVs as well as our Yamaha AVR ever since.  

So if you're running surround sound over HDMI, perhaps your TV and the U-verse box are occasionally getting out of sync.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

I'm using HDMI, but no surround sound, only TV speakers.  I've heard this sound before, but something happened after Phase 3 that I'm hearing it more often.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

This thread is old but guess what?  I have noticed the problem twice, in the last three days.  I have noticed it on only one TV, so far.  HDMI.  Just like 2011, changing the channel (up and down vive versa,  pressing last, twice and so on) fixed it but something must have recently changed that brought this "underwater sound" / garbled talk, back.

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

Sadly I too have started to hear "garbled" audio off and on in the last couple days that can be remedied by switching channels then switching back.

While some have suggested this might be bad connections, check your cables, etc., it is almost always the fault of the provider. My older provider WOW, was horrible with this and complaints fell on deaf ears. I hope AT&T is more responsible.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@billy-xwow wrote:

Sadly I too have started to hear "garbled" audio off and on in the last couple days that can be remedied by switching channels then switching back.

While some have suggested this might be bad connections, check your cables, etc., it is almost always the fault of the provider. My older provider WOW, was horrible with this and complaints fell on deaf ears. I hope AT&T is more responsible.

Which box are yiou getting this on?  A DVR box or a non-DVR box?  I only get it on the DVR box.  Always.

Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.